[DML] Re: High idle post tune up

So I didn't take the intake manifold off to change the distributor cap.  I didn't even remove
the mixture control unit. I removed the 2 hex bolts that hold the mixture control unit to
the intake and the 4 bolts on the rear of the intake so I could lift up the mixture control
unit and reach the distributor cap.  I did some rearranging of vacuum hoses to their proper
configuration and normalized the idle for a little while, but after going for a drive it
started to rev on its own to ~3000 rpm.  I noticed that by disconnecting the idle speed
motor or by pushing on it I could normalize the idle too.  I think I might try to switch the
idle speed motor for the one on my other car, and see if that corrects the problem
If I remember correctly disconnecting the idle speed motor when the car is idling should
cause the engine to stop right?
Thanks all for your helpful suggestions
Joe P.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Toby Peterson" <Toby@...> wrote:

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jpalatinus" <jpalatinus@> wrote:
>
> Joe - The first place that I would look is the white 9-pin bulkhead
> connector that is located just below the blue connector behind the
> coil cover.  Several of the pins in that white connector are involved
> in the idle speed circuit.  If you have a bad connection there due to
> contamination, corrosion, loose pins or sockets, etc., then the idle
> speed circuit will become "wonky" as our British friends would say.
> You would be well served to also check and verify all connections
> along the way in the idle speed circuit.  I assume that you have a
> proper wiring diagram that you can use for electrical diagnostics.
> Also, assuming (again) that you removed the intake manifold for all
> of this major tune-up work, you will want to make sure that the
> throttle quadrant rod and associated mechanisms are all correctly
> situated and working smoothly.  Make sure that the vacuum lines to
> the vacuum solenoid are correctly positioned per the vacuum diagram.
> That also makes a difference in timing and fuel control pressure at
> certain temperatures.
>
> Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
> DMC Northwest
> DeLorean Parts Northwest
>

> > Anyway She used to idle right below 1000rpm.  Now she runs fine,
> but is idling so high (2500rpm) I thought something might be pulling
> the throttle. (nothing is)  I imagine that I disconnected some minute
> hose or some wire that is of critical importance to keeping a low
> idle.  Any ideas on what I screwed up?  Or better yet how to fix it?

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)