[DML] A/T new question

Thanks for the response on the solenoid installation guys - I wanted to
double check my work while installing a rebuilt governor.  The solenoid
with the clear wires is on the passenger side of the car.

I now have a new question.  When I first installed the rebuilt governor
I took it for a drive and only had second gear (about 28mph at 2000rpms
with sluggish start).  I checked everything over and found I didn't have
a fuse in the A/T slot in the fusebox (oops) - and put one in.  I tried
it again and I then had first gear - yay  - and then, it didn't shift
into second when I expected it to.  If I get the car up to 35 or so and
let off the gas, then press down again, the car is basically in neutral
- the engine revs but no go.  I'm not sure if that's second or third
really.

I'm going to run wires and set up LEDs in the cabin so I can tell what
the governor is trying to do, but I think this is a control problem, not
a mechanical one.  If I can mechanically drive in second gear with no
fuse in the fusebox, then I should be able to get into second if the
controller is working properly.

Does this scream out an obvious answer to anyone?

Any help appreciated.

Tom