[DML] Re: National Geographic April 1981

[DML] Re: National Geographic April 1981

I'll probably not be the only one to add this, but Chris Nicholson
has some interesting commentary about this wheel/pic on his site.

http://www.pjgrady.co.uk//GenericContent.aspx?
PageType=Rare_Items&ShowContent=Pilot_Car_Wheel.html

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jon Heese" <jonheese@...> wrote:

> It's also interesting that the rear wheel pictured has 5 spokes,
but the
> front has only 4.  That's something I've never seen done
intentionally
> by a car manufacturer...
>
> Regards,
> Jon Heese
>
> content22207 wrote:
> > Thank you so much for the picture Tiff!
> >
> > I suspect it was taken in Hethel (Lotus), not Dunmurry. Notice
the
> > barn walls in the background.
> >
> > This obviously is not a production automobile. Notice the
position of
> > the side marker lenses. The door also has no toll booth window.
> >
> > But the single most important feature of your picture is the rear
> > wheel -- it is exactly the same diameter as the front wheel! Had
> > print it out to verify, but sure enough -- both rims are 100%
same
> > diameter. Compared to a same size printout of a production car,
the
> > difference is striking.
> >
> > You have provided photographic evidence of a design quirk I have
long
> > maintained. The question is: Why in the world did DMC design a
spare
> > tire well that is too small to hold a flat rear tire? It isn't
due to
> > surrounding space limitation -- the Brandys proved that with
their
> > enlarged spare well. I suspect that the body molds were made in
> > anticipation of a 14" rear wheel, and that the 15" rear was a
late
> > design change, made after the molds were already in existence.
Your
> > magazine picture clearly shows people laboriously cleaning a car
with
> > 14" rear rims.
> >
> > It also shows a nose high stance, which seems to contradict the
theory
> > that Lotus designed the car to sit lower in the front. I'll
leave that
> > controversy for the next poster....
> >
> > Bill Robertson
> >
> >> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tiffany Olejnik"
> > <bck2thefuture88@> wrote:
> >> While digging through my mom's National Geographic collection,
I found
> >> an issue from April 1981 that happened to mention the Delorean
Motor

    mailto:dmcnews-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx