Re: [DML] Stainless in coolant system

Hi Gang - I had posted a file in the "Files" section last March
regarding this issue (Galvanic Corrosion).  This information was
provided in response to an individuals desire to change all coolant
pipes to stainless steel.  There are a couple of things that the
information reveals.  First is that adding more stainless steel to the
system would be bad, in terms of galvanic corrosion.  As Dave S. points
out later in this thread, much of that can be mitigated by refreshing
the coolant regularly.  The second is that brass and bronze are also
very bad in a system with a lot of aluminum parts.  In essence, the
aluminum becomes sacrificial to stainless steel and brass.  Aluminum
will leave the engine block and heads, and will be attracted to the
stainless steel and brass areas, where it forms aluminum oxides.  All
of that white crud in the radiator used to be part of the engine block,
heads, aluminum coolant pipes, etc.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DMC Northwest
DeLorean Parts Northwest

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <martin@...> wrote:
> I genuinely do not know the answer to this one, I just found that
> article and deemed it relevant. However it makes sense to me that a
> ground wire might make the situation worse, because you're then
> providing a short curcuit to the "battery" created between the
stainless
> bottle and the aluminium block.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional