From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Paul Gress
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 10:56 PM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [DML] Stainless in coolant system

As with any electrical circuit, it needs to be closed to draw current.
If you connect (wire) the copper radiator and the aluminum engine block
together, there is a voltage potential is through the electrolyte or
antifreeze. If there is no connection, there is no current running
through the electrolyte (open circuit). So, as was stated before,
electrical isolation is good for the radiator if it's copper. Also
copper (231 BTU/hr-ft-°F) is more thermally conductive then aluminum
(136 BTU/hr-ft-°F), so copper would make a better radiator then aluminum
being almost twice as thermally conductive (silver being the only metal
more thermally conductive then copper). So, if an aluminum radiator and
a copper radiator were exactly the same dimensions and had exactly the
same number of cooling fins, the copper radiator would exchange more
heat due to the fins being more thermally conductive and able to supply
the wasted heat quicker.

Paul

Marc Levy wrote:
> If I understand the science behind this (and I am not sure I do), the problem is that a battery is created because of the dissimilar metals being separated by the liquid. So, the "Potential Difference" (or Voltage) created between the Aluminum and Stainless is what causes damage to the Aluminum (the weaker metal).
>
> Assuming what I wrote above is correct, a wire between the SS bottle and aluminum engine would "short" the battery out... so there would be a potential difference of zero... But, would that stop the damage to the Aluminum?
>
> Maybe someone who understands this can explain it better. :)

_________Confidentiality Notice_______________________
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it is
confidential and is intended solely for the use of
the individual(s) or entity(ies) to whom this e-mail
is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient
or the person responsible for delivering the e-mail
to the intended recipient, be advised that you have
received this e-mail in error, and that any use,
disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing,
retention or copying of this e-mail is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in
error, please immediately return this e-mail to
the sender and delete the e-mail from your system.
Thank you.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: