[DML] Re: DeLorean reliability

I have seen this on other (not Delorean) cars. When I look over a car
I do look to see if that metal pipe is rubbing, it's like a saw blade.
I also inspect the underside of the left coolant hose. If it is too
close to the belt it will rub it and wear a groove in it. Just bend
the bracket to hold it a little further away. Other things to inspect
include, looseness in the quadrant link, staining from coolant leaks,
cracks in the header bottle, balloning of coolant hoses, oil leaks,
shiny dirt (metal shavings), wiring too close to the throttle linkage,
etc. My point is an owner should be doing a "Pre-Flight". If you
regularly inspect the car you will notice when something is not right.
That is also part of "PM". Just like looking at tires to see the bulge
from where you hit a curb to checking the air pressure. Now you will
never catch everything but you will be finding more things if you look
more often. It also helps to know what to look for and where. That is
where years of experience helps, THAT is what I am offering. Just an
FYI, a while back one of our favorite vendors almost lost a wheel, his
lug-nuts came loose. Nobody catches everything!!!!!!!! At least it was
on his OWN CAR!!!!!!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

> While I agree with you in principal, sometimes reality has something
> else in store for you.
>
> Before we left Gettysburg a car in our group sprung a leak... not an
> old hose, or old rad, or worn out waterpump... things preventive
> maintainence would have caught.  This leak sprung in the aluminum water
> pipe by the the water bottle.... a hole was rubbed in it by the heat
> riser pipe!  Rob Grady was kind enough to help us find this very
> unusual leak... Rob said he has only seen this a few times.  So,
> everybody add this to your list of things to just look at and check
> because "normal" maintainence my not have you checking on something
> like this.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: