[DML] Re: Tires

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Colby Knight <jck_dmc12@...> wrote:

> In the quest for tires for my car (195 60/14 front; 235 60/15 rear),
I am continuing to come up short.
> Every place I call has the same reaction: 'Good luck with that!'
>
> I would LIKE to have a matching set for the front and rear, but it
doesn't look like it's an option.

I believe a matching set is still an option, but I think currently the
only option for a matching set is going with Cooper Cobras. At least,
they were still available as of six months ago. A few people in AZ-D
are using them with no complaints. They do have white raised letters
on the sidewalls.

Perhaps it's time you and others who find themselves in this situation
call Coker and/or Universal Vintage Tire and let them know that you're
interested in having them produce reproductions of desirable brands
and models that will fit the car. Reproduction Goodyear NCTs would be
better than nothing, and even better than Cooper Cobras. If Coker or
Universal see enough interest and discover there is a market, they
will make them. They simply need to see a demand, so pick up the
phone. I have on several occasions, and I have told their reps at
Barrett-Jackson too.

> What are you running and more importantly... WHERE did you get them?

I purchased a matching set of new Dunlop GT Qualifiers in the correct
sizes about five months ago from Discount/America's Tire through their
Discount Direct phone order department. A friend of mine works there
and he located a full set for me that was sitting in the inventory of
a store in their chain that was out of state. They were a special
order for someone who never picked 'em up, so I got them. I paid for
them by phone, and they ship to your door. At the time he said there
may have still been a few GT Qualifiers scattered around their chain,
but again, that was almost six months ago. You could give them a call
and try.

Dan W.
VIN 16192

<*> Your email settings: