[DML] It's just a car club, why the power trip? - A suggestion to the DO

[DML] It's just a car club, why the power trip? - A suggestion to the DOA.

Anything anyone writes here will be scrutinized.  Consider it a sign of affection!!  it is better than being ignored, no?  :)

I could not agree with you more Ken.  I hope your experience running the DOA is better..  My expectation is that in the future you will run in to people like this in your organization and then realize what this DMA situation (and past DOA situation) is all about.

WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?  Indeed!

The problem is, there is a conflict of the people who want to "do what is right" and those that just want to "be right".  Of course, both sides will always rationalize their motivations and behaviors to say they are doing "what is right".  This recipe just spells disaster.

So, what do you do when you believe you are fighting for "what is right"?  If your like me, you WISH you could give up and stop fighting but then there would be yet another injustice in the world.

Disturbing, yes..  How about close friendships being destroyed over club politics?   If you want to run the DOA, you should be ready for it.

As DOA president, I am concerned with your statement "perhaps the arguments should be take away from a public forum."  See! your right! I am going to scrutinize!  You know me so well! :)

It should ALL be public.  The best thing the DOA (or any club) can do to demonstrate everything is "on the level" is to go public.  Publish all officer discussions, make available audio recordings of your conference calls.  Edit nothing. (DeLorean CSPAN) Let the members know exactly how hard you work, and how you are doing what is best for them and the organization.  Anything short of that, and it will be seen as an attempt to hide something.  I was always an advocate of making *ALL* DMA officer discussions available to club members, but I was alone in that position so it failed.  If you keep discussions like this out of the public forum, how do the members know what the officers are doing (for better or worse)?  Heck, some of us may join the DOA just to see what you are up to! :)

Ken (or any other "club leader"), as you restructure the DOA think of what you would want as a member... not an officer.  One day, you may no longer be an officer and will have to live with the rules you created!