[DML] Big Silver Fish was : DeLorean Owners Association

[DML] Big Silver Fish was : DeLorean Owners Association

Long story..Short version...Stolen/Recovered...Dumped in Long Island
Sound...Submarine Delorean...Big silver fish in the bottom of Long
Island Sound..That is why it needed a ground up restore..Funny part
was when I was Disassembling it,...I got the car with the typical
Ignition switch that was smashed off the steering Column...(they
break them off then use a screwdriver to start the car)When I removed
the Drivers seat...I found the Broken off ignition switch under the
Drivers seat...WITH the key still in it IN THE RUNNING
position...Smoking gun?? You do the Math! After that I knew It was
done for Insurance pay-off,since in those days people were paying up
to 35K for a new Delorean,then they dropped below 20K.
The ONLY thing I used from that car was the Frame/Black body and some
SS panels,I picked up a One Month old Delorean (from NEW Dealer
delivery)that got totaled,this was the car that started the Ball
Joint Recalls(another story)and I used everything from that on the
Submarine car.

Claude

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Kevin Abato <delorean@...> wrote:

> Why would you have done a "Ground Up restoration" in 1982-83 on a
brand new
> car that was only 1-2 years old?
>
> Kevin Abato
> Vin# 16680
> www.grenexmedia.com

Behalf Of
> cbl1739
> Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 1:55 AM
> To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [DML] Re: DeLorean Owners Association
>

> In all fairness to the DOA and Mr.Bernstein(aka D1)In 1982-83 when
I was
> doing my first ground up restore on a Delorean,I had zero knowledge
on the
> Delorean's engineering,it was because of D1 and the DOA,that got me
setup
> with the repair books and all books needed (Delorean One)and parts
needed
> and DeloreanWorld with it's tech articles,and in Negative fairness
D1 did
> charge me big bucks for everything I bought from them(hence my
search for
> parts cars)There were "some" good years about the DOA,and the fact
that when
> I called D1,they would indeed give me helpful advice(since I did
spend a lot
> of money there,and was a member of the DOA.)Since in those days
restoring a
> Delorean,indeed doing a ground up restore was unheard of,and I
really had no
> one to turn to except D1 and DeloreanWorld(Pj Grady was not yet a
stand
> alone vendor yet)So I had not heard of his Business until sometime
around
> 1986-87 or thereabouts.There was a local Delorean chapter and I did
go to
> one of those Delorean get togethers(with my first Showcar
Delorean)..but I
> was totally disappointed,when all I got out of the get together was
most
> people there were trying to make a buck and selling their Crap
Delorean
> stuff,or trying/talking about  the best way of making a profit at
these type
> of gatherings.Not much talk about the car itself..Never went back
to the
> local chapter for that reason.So it was NOT just DOA (they did not
help it
> either),but the local chapters that screwed things up too!!
>
> Claude
>

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Mike S." <drivestainless@> wrote:
> >
> > As a member of the DML moderating team, I am willing to give the
> DOA's
> > new regime the benefit of the doubt.
> >
> > I would personally love to see the DOA succeed.  When I bought my
> > DeLorean the existence of the DOA was one of the selling points.
It
> > is nice to have a strong international organization with the
mission
> > of supporting owners.
> >
> > Other makes/models of orphan cars have wonderful international
> clubs.
> >
> > But for a period the DOA's mission seemed to be increasing the
> selling
> > price of DeLoreans.  A lot of owners didn't care about DeLorean
> > prices, and some potential owners even hoped prices would fall.
> This
> > was the early days of email lists, and frustration with the DOA's
> > mission fueled rapid growth of the DML.
> >
> > I'm interpreting for hundreds of people here, so don't take my
word
> > for it.  The DML backissues contain much discussion of the DOA's
> mission.
> >
> > When I bought my DeLorean the DOA had a monthly magazine, annual
> > Expos, and a local chapter system.  During the same period that
> DMLers
> > were complaining about its mission, the DOA did away with all
these
> > valuable assets.  The DML, other message boards and magazines,
Ken
> > Koncelik, plus several vendors stepped in to fill the void.
> >
> > Everything but the international club.
> >
> > Why the DOA?
> >
> > I think the name "DOA" is wittier than any other orphan car
club.
> If
> > there are scandals in the DOA's history I can live with them:
> scandals
> > go with DeLoreans like water goes with Amphicars.
> >
> > - Mike Substelny
> >   VIN 01280
> >   DML moderator
> >   Soon-to-be reactivated DOA member