From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
cbl1739
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 1:55 AM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] Re: DeLorean Owners Association

In all fairness to the DOA and Mr.Bernstein(aka D1)In 1982-83 when I was
doing my first ground up restore on a Delorean,I had zero knowledge on the
Delorean's engineering,it was because of D1 and the DOA,that got me setup
with the repair books and all books needed (Delorean One)and parts needed
and DeloreanWorld with it's tech articles,and in Negative fairness D1 did
charge me big bucks for everything I bought from them(hence my search for
parts cars)There were "some" good years about the DOA,and the fact that when
I called D1,they would indeed give me helpful advice(since I did spend a lot
of money there,and was a member of the DOA.)Since in those days restoring a
Delorean,indeed doing a ground up restore was unheard of,and I really had no
one to turn to except D1 and DeloreanWorld(Pj Grady was not yet a stand
alone vendor yet)So I had not heard of his Business until sometime around
1986-87 or thereabouts.There was a local Delorean chapter and I did go to
one of those Delorean get togethers(with my first Showcar Delorean)..but I
was totally disappointed,when all I got out of the get together was most
people there were trying to make a buck and selling their Crap Delorean
stuff,or trying/talking about  the best way of making a profit at these type
of gatherings.Not much talk about the car itself..Never went back to the
local chapter for that reason.So it was NOT just DOA (they did not help it
either),but the local chapters that screwed things up too!!

Claude

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Mike S." <drivestainless@...> wrote:

> As a member of the DML moderating team, I am willing to give the
DOA's
> new regime the benefit of the doubt.
>
> I would personally love to see the DOA succeed.  When I bought my
> DeLorean the existence of the DOA was one of the selling points.  It
> is nice to have a strong international organization with the mission
> of supporting owners.
>
> Other makes/models of orphan cars have wonderful international
clubs.

> But for a period the DOA's mission seemed to be increasing the
selling
> price of DeLoreans.  A lot of owners didn't care about DeLorean
> prices, and some potential owners even hoped prices would fall.
This
> was the early days of email lists, and frustration with the DOA's
> mission fueled rapid growth of the DML.
>
> I'm interpreting for hundreds of people here, so don't take my word
> for it.  The DML backissues contain much discussion of the DOA's
mission.

> When I bought my DeLorean the DOA had a monthly magazine, annual
> Expos, and a local chapter system.  During the same period that
DMLers
> were complaining about its mission, the DOA did away with all these
> valuable assets.  The DML, other message boards and magazines, Ken
> Koncelik, plus several vendors stepped in to fill the void.
>
> Everything but the international club.
>
> Why the DOA?
>
> I think the name "DOA" is wittier than any other orphan car club.
If
> there are scandals in the DOA's history I can live with them:
scandals
> go with DeLoreans like water goes with Amphicars.
>
> - Mike Substelny
>   VIN 01280
>   DML moderator
>   Soon-to-be reactivated DOA member