Re: [DML] Re: Pulling Transmission

Thanks David, all great tips. The PO took unbelievable care of the car and had upgraded virtually everthing. I believe he had the engine out before and there is no rust or even grease in most places. Has metal braided lines already and the transmission looks like it just came out of the box. I think am not sure if it is the original clutch. The car is only up to 63000 miles and had 36000 on it when I bought it in 2005.

Steve

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: David Teitelbaum
  To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Sunday, May 25, 2008 11:52 PM
  Subject: [DML] Re: Pulling Transmission

  Get out your Parts Manual. Secion 4-1-1.
  4 bolts #2
  4 bolts #12
  Plate # 16 w/ 4 bolts #14
  Plate #7 comes out when you remove the starter
  Plate #15 w/ 2 #13 bolts
  You have to jack up the motor and transmission to get to all of the
  screws for Plate # 16
  The transmission can get stuck on the locating dowels # 11 so you have
  to work it loose and maybe pry the transmission off. It helps to keep
  it level and straight or it will hang up and be difficult to remove.
  It is also possible the input shaft is stuck in the friction plate.
  Should come loose but in worst case you must remove the pressure plate
  from the flywheel and take it all out in one lump. Not easy, you must
  rotate the flywheel to get to all of the bolts. Also makes it a LOT
  heavier. Can also get stuck in the pilot (spigot) bearing. Again, you
  must remove it as straight as you can and may have to force it apart
  taking the pilot bearing with the input shaft. Try not to let the
  half/shafts hang, that can bend the collar that the C/V boots attach
  to. Good time to rebuild/replace the clutch slave cylinder. If you
  still have the plastic clutch line replace it with the steel-braided
  line. While the transmission is out you should check the 5th gear fork
  and the pins in the 1-2 shifter fork rail. You should also consider
  replacing the C/V boots if they are still the origonals and repacking
  the joints. New output seals on the transmission too. Inspect the
  transmission mounts carefully. Especially the rear left one for
  cracks. Drain the oil from the transmission before you try to remove it.
  David Teitelbaum
  vin 10757
  David Teitelbaum
  vin 10757

  --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Steven L. Alves" <steve@...> wrote:

  > I am in the middle of pulling the manual transmission to replace the
  clutch and can not get it out. It feels like it is still attached to
  the engine. I have the 4 big bolts, 3 at the starter and 2 on top out
  (trans mounts and linkages are also out with a jack under the tranny).
  I see mention of two covers on the bottom and driver side but can not
  find them. Has anyone seen any pictures describing the process? I am
  looking at the shop manual and see no mention of having to remove a
  plate prior to dropping the transmission. It does mention a "flywheel
  protection shield" in step 10 but that is after lowering the
  transmission. I can't figure out what I am missing. Has anyone seen
  any photos of the process I can look at or have any ideas what I may
  be missing?

  > Thanks
  > Steve

<*> Your email settings: