[DML] Re: Still High Idle 3000 RPM

Hey Bob,

how long have you been looking for that problem now ?
If you made that test with the idle motor - why can't you
tell if it's working or not ?
12V to the center spade and ground to one side makes the
idle motor fully open the air channel,
ground on the other side makes it closing it completely.

so when the engine is running - what happens ?
what happens when the valve is fully open ?
and what happens when it is fully closed ?
does idle speed go down ? it should ! well, the engine
should stall if the brass screws on the intake are closed.
(are they closed ? they are not missing or the O-Rings are OK ?)

if it doesn't do a difference - is the idle motor stuck ?
those bearings tend to rust (I think I have written this
like 15 times the past few years) and freeze the rotor so
it won't move anymore.
You should hear a mechanical "clack" each time you swap
the grounds ! does it do it ?

What else makes you think that the idle motor or ECU
is responsible ? I can't remember to have ever seen a
car idling that high because of an electric idle system
problem. But what I had several times before was the
throttle wire that was not correct in the spool, especially
after I moved the spool by hand. (this was discussed very
often when it comes to cruise control)

Or the butterflies - a very common problem - they do not
close completely due to worn shafts !!! Also discussed
before here. Did you test that ?
They may work properly with engine off, but as soon as there
is a vacuum the worn shafts won't let the butterflies close
completely.
idle speed switch - if the screw is set wrong, butterflies
won't close either.
The throttel wire - is it running smoothly thru the hose ?

I am not sure if I missed some results of your tests so please
excuse if I ask you to repeat that. well, those tests are done
in seconds...after you performed those tests, then the
temp-sensors and switches have to be tested. I have seen ECU's
where the copper was burned away due to wrong installed sensors.
When did this problem start ? did you work on the car before
that ?

Also - if it is a problem of the idle motor, blocking one of
those two hoses should stop it, too.

uuhm something else - do we have valves on the butterflies ?
My 69 MGB does have it, but can't remember if the Delo has
it, too. If those don't close anymore, of course idle goes
up, too. But I guess this is something to test after the rest
was OK.

Hope to read results soon and if possible see pictures, too.

Good luck :-)

Elvis & 6548

> If anyone has experience fixing a high idle problem and has any
suggestions, I'd appreciate the help
> I have the workshop manual.

[moderator snip]

<*> Your email settings: