[DML] RPM Relay - A Modern Alternative

I have been beta testing a new, re-engineered RPM Relay design, and
wanted to share my thoughts about it. I have posted a full review at my
blog (link below), and here are some key excerpts:

Features of the Re-Engineered RPM Relay
Back to the main feature of the this new RPM Relay design. There are
some very big difference in this new and modern relay:
a) Less current draw: This new design draws 16ma on ignition, and 20
ma in operation. The original relay draws 260ma. That's a 92%
reduction of current on the new design!
b) Eliminates a constantly energized coil: In the original design
this relay maintains a constantly energized coil when it is on, this
function is now replaced with solid state components (the differences
are visible in the picture).
c) Less heat: Since the original relay sucks up more current through
the discrete parts (see coil above as an example), they generate more
heat. So much so, that you cannot touch the internal components on
the original relays after a long drive. The new design, on a similar
drive, runs barely warm. I know because I performed that test with
the two designs.

To anyone who has dealt with electronics and reliability knows, the
three benefits above, translates directly into a now significantly
more reliable part. Cool.

Cost
As of this writing Dave is currently asking $75 to upgrade your old
relay, along with a refundable $50 "core" charge. The upgrade
consists of a completely new and professionally made circuit board,
with modern components soldered in, and using your existing case and
connector.

RPM Relay in use
I have been running this relay as a beta tester for Dave, since
January 2008 (5 months as of this writing). In that time, I have
driven my car every weekend on either 10-30 mile cruises, or often to
longer distances to local car shows (including during high 90+ degree
Florida days). In that time we also took the car on a 600 mile round
trip that included 3 hours of continuous driving. The relay sits
quietly in its place, performing its function, and frankly I have
forgotten that it is there - which is exactly what this part should
contribute to our cars.

The full review is here at:
http://delorean2109.blogspot.com/2008/05/rpm-relay-modern-update.html

Oh, and my usual disclaimer in case anyone is wondering. No, I do not
make any money on the sale of his product; I am just a supporter of
anyone, any company, that contributes to improving our cars.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)