[DML] Re: Alternator light - new cars

On newer cars with EMS (Engine Management Systems) the lights are lit
by the ECU. Most of the switches also connect to the ECU, not the
device they control. More and more cars are becoming fully
"fly-by-wire". It will make older car's technology look more and more
archaic. On the newer cars the alternator is also controlled by the
ECU, not a voltage regulator internal to the alternator.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "daviddelorean" <daviddelorean@...> wrote:

> On the DMC and all other cars I understand that the alternator warning
> light bulb acts as a load exciting in the circuit to spark the
> alternator into generating power.
>
> I test drove a new Chrystler 300 today and noticed that all the warning
> lights, including the alt light, went off at the same time. The alt
> light didn't stay on when I had the acc mode turned on either.  Have
> newer cars gone to a computerized/digital warning instead of the laws
> of electricty warning type of system?

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: