Re: [DML] Speaking of Oil..

Marc,

I used to be very interested in automotive fluids, since that was my job a
few years ago.  For the last three years I have been using Mobil Delvac  Super
1300 15w40 motor oil.  It's an HDEO (heavy duty engine oil).  It  is rated for
use in diesel engines as well as automotive engines.  Older  diesels tend to
have a lot of crap in the oil to take care of, and HDEO's are  better suited
for dealing with these things.  The additive package is less  stingy as well...

Before that I was using Mobil 10w40.  I got out of that when I learned  a
little more about oil and found that 10w40's are a little odd on the molecular
level and that they tend to shear much more readily than 'stable' oils like
5W30, 10W30, and 15W40.  It has something to do with the spread between the  two
numbers.  The longer the spread, the more complex the oil 'chain' is,  which
is then easier to break.

I had the valve covers off and the oil pan off two years ago, and there was
absolutely no sludge or anything like that in my 60K mile DeLorean motor.
Probably means it was well taken care of before I got to it also ;-)

So in short, diesel oils are very good for gas engines as long as the motor
recommends the weights you find diesel oil in.  It's not very easy to find  an
HDEO oil in 10w30... but 5w40 is possible.  I don't think you can make a
5w40 without it being synthetic, so the spread is not as big an issue.

Someone will surely remind us that 5w30 is retroactively recommended in the
PRV motors, but really, these engines are robust and mine seems to love
running  on 15w40.  I never drive my car below 35 deg F either though....

Andy

In a message dated 05/05/2008 9:50:28 P.M. Central Daylight Time,