[DML] Re: Checking TAB's regularly, regardless of type

[DML] Re: Checking TAB's regularly, regardless of type

This was my car this happened to.  Toby had a metallurgical analysis
done on the bent bolt to determine that (I believe, correct me if I'm
wrong), that the overall strength of the bolt had barely been reduced
by the bend, and that didn't have any other damage to it other than
the bend. (In other words, it was in no real danger to actually
breaking).  I do not believe it was a loosening nut that caused the
problem, although mine was from the first batch sold, without the
double nuts.  The whole setup was indeed loose when we were inspecting
it, but that was most likely from a crushed washer.  When I installed
my Toby TABs I replaced everything I could.  The bushings, washers,
and alignment shims.  It is very important to note that anybody else
doing this, obtain PROPER washers for the installation if yours are
damaged or your just replacing because.  They need to be a very
hardened material, and not any old washer out of the hardware store.
Fortunately I DID know that when I was doing this, and bought the
correct washers from a DeLorean vendor for the job.  Unfortunately for
me there was probably a manufacturing defect in one of them causing it
to crush in where it met the trailing arm bushing.  This loosened the
joint slightly (but not enough to loose the alignment shims), and was
just enough to cause severe bending moments on the TAB.  After
inspecting all of the other washers I purchased, none of them were
damaged, leading me to believe it was hopefully a one-time fluke for
the part.

Jim Reeve
DMC6960

> A few years ago, at a Midwest Tech Day (more like Tech Weekend)
> at Dave Swingle's Monster Garage, we identified and replaced a
> really bent Toby TAB from one of our member's cars.  All credit
> to the Toby TAB for not breaking, but it had a severe bend.
>
> I do not recall if an exact root cause was determined, but it
> did appear to be bent from the nut loosening up and the bolt
> was allowed to "slide" a little within the mount.  Maybe Dave
> Swingle recalls some of the details from the follow-up.
>
> I believe a "double-nut" option has been offered with the Toby
> TAB's since this incident occurred back in late 2003 or 2004.
>
> So, make sure your regular TAB inspection includes checking
> the torque on the TAB's, not just a visual TAB inspection.
>
> Later,
> Rich W.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional