[DML] Re: New Gas Blends and older cars (David Teitelbaum) Carbureation

[DML] Re: New Gas Blends and older cars (David Teitelbaum) Carbureation

Quick refresher: This thread started because you claimed ethanol
blends were going to make my cabureted DeLorean vapor lock. As the
discussion of in-tank fuel pumps demonstrated, it is not liable to such.

This thread did NOT start as advocacy of carburetion for all other
DeLorean owners. Certain advantages of carburetion over K-Jet have
been listed, but only because another poster opined that I did not
understand either!

That said, I would argue that my fuel delivery conversion is no more
unpalatable to DeLorean vendors than MegaSquirt EFI. Or a turbocharged
K-Jet (which usually rigs Lambda, CPR, or WOT for non-stock operation
under boost). Or even Houston's new Stage III throttle
body/supercharger combo for that matter. Goodness knows there are a
plethora of fuel delivery variations out there.

Of course why would vendors be messing with my carb anyway? I buy
other parts from them: struts, gauge sending units, interior fittings,
etc.

As far as being "the only person in the world qualified to work on the
car": The Autolite/Motorcraft 2100/2150 was Ford's front line 2 barrel
carburetor for more than 25 years. They were installed on tens of
millions of vehicles. Surely there are mechanics who have encountered
one or two of them before -- likely more than have encountered MegaSquirt.

And note that my 2150 has a standard footprint. Should somebody else
one day own my vehicle, and should they prefer a different brand of
carburetor, it is a simple matter of removing four nuts to change it.

Regarding documentation to change the fuel filter: Please check out
the engine pics in #5939's Yahoo photo album. I made a stainless steel
filter bracket for the driver's pontoon. Filter installation now is
quite intuitive as well as incredibly easy. Note also that any low PSI
fuel filter will work (the bracket is big enough to accommodate the
largest available on down). I also made a stainless steel bracket to
hold the ignition resistors (still wired backwards -- 12v coil input
at all times).

Are we agreeing to disagree?

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@...> wrote:
>
> You fail to mention one of the biggest draw-backs with your conversion
> to a carbureator. You are probably the only person in the world
> qualified to work on the car. There is no parts book or service manual
> that can help anyone with your fuel system. Even a Delorean vendor
> would not want to touch it. The simplest thing, changing the fuel
> filter, is impossible unless you created enough documentation so you
> know what you actually have in the car and how to replace it. In most
> States you would NOT pass an inspection for tampering with the stock
> system. I encourage innovation and personalizing each car but realize
> that what you have done may be good for you and you are happy with it
> but the majority of Delorean owners are better served by staying as
> close to stock as they can (at least for the mechanical systems). Not
> everyone is as handy as you. BTW that '76 carbureator is not going to
> like anything more than 5% Ethanol before the float melts. The K-jet
> should be able to get up to 15% before the "O" rings start to swell.
> David Teitelbaum
> vin 10757
>

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@> wrote:
> >
> > [moderator's note: this thread has become barely on-topic.  Further
> posts should be related to the car, the man, and ownership. ]
> >

> > [Better cut & paste this paragraph first to keep things topical]:
> > Regarding K-Jet vapor issues: The injectors open around 45 PSI or so.
> > Don't know how much PSI fuel vapors produce (enough to sometimes shut
> > a gas pump off when you first try to fill the tank), but if the vapors
> > were more than 45 PSI, wouldn't they crack the injectors and bleed the
> > lines at least back down to there? The pump puts out nearly twice
> > injector pressure, so it should have no problem pushing them from the
> > rear. Of course you're dependent upon the air sensor plate & me

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)