[DML] Re: update on #2613 VOD

The main problem is that you have leaks. When you leak enough out you
will get air into the water pump and radiator. When that happens you
don't have enough cooling capacity in the radiator and eventually the
water pump will stop circulating coolant. By then you will be
overheating and blowing out the remaining coolant from the radiator
cap. When you have leaks on the top of the motor (the VOD) the coolant
doesn't get on the floor for you to see. It pools in cavities on top
of the motor and eventually evaporates away. It also corrodes the top
and can rot holes into the top of the motor. If you have to add
coolant because the level keeps going down you have leaks. No car is
reliable with coolant leaks and you should NOT plan a long trip like
that. Since it has to be done anyway try to do it sooner rather than
later. Also look inside the fan shroud on the left side, top. If the
radiator is green replace it too. Especially if it is the origional
with the plastic tanks. And replace the plastic header bottle with a
metal one. Replacing the water pump without removing the intake
manifold is damm near impossible. I would like to know how it was
done. Usually the seal goes on the water pump first and the coolant
then washes out the lubrication in the bearings and then they go bad.
If the water pump fails soon after replacing it, it is usually because
you damaged the seal when installing the pump. That can happen if you
drop the pump or hammer on the shaft. The seal is rather brittle and
cannot take shock well. The main reason you NEVER hammer the pulley
onto the water pump. It also does not like to run dry so ALWAYS have
coolant in the water pump if the motor is running and the belt is on.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tom Tait" <TTait@...> wrote:

> If you are leaking in the valley of death it may take some time to fill
> up again enough to show the leak on level ground.  The leaking radiator
> fluid can eventually eat through the metal in the top of the engine
> block, ruining it.

[moderator snip]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional