[DML] DeLorean Service

A comment regarding shops, other than the DeLorean vendors, working
on our cars...

Everyone seems to focus on the mechanics of the DeLorean.  The real
issue is the human factor.  When I first purchased my DeLorean in
1990 I was having one heck of a time getting it to pass IL
emissions.  I had taken the car to several shops including Volvo
trying to get it to pass emissions without success.  In some cases
the shop would have the car for weeks at a time trying to "play" with
it to make it pass.  In many cases, I was quoted from $1000 on up.
One shop told me that I needed to replace the engine and they would
be willing to do the replacement for $5,000.  Finally, I met a local,
DeLorean trained mechanic, that worked on DeLoreans from his home,
named Dave Donaldson.  One hour of labor later and I received a call
that he had corrected the problem, taken the car to the emissions
station for me, and had the pass sticker.  The car ran great for the
first time in my ownership almost eight months after purchasing it.

Was every mechanic I talked with prior to the last incompetent?
Absolutely not, but they had a mindset that did not allow them to see
past the fact they were working on a DeLorean.  As we all know, shop
owners are in business to make money.  This doesn't allow a mechanic
the time to research a car like the DeLorean and perform the repairs
without charging for that extra time.

I learned a great deal about the car from Dave and, when time allows,
tackle most projects on my own.  Like it or not, our cars have unique
quarks about them.  Having prior knowledge and experience with the
DeLorean or any car will make the repairs happen faster which
translates into less dollars.

With all the vendors we have to support a small number of cars it
only makes sense to get a referral for a shop that has DeLorean
experience and use them.

--
Bryan Pearce
Pearce Design Components

On Apr 12, 2008, at 6:47 PM, DMCVIN6683 wrote:

> The Delorean is really just a Stainless Steel skinned car with a
> Volvo engine.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: