[DML] Re:Is this a possible way to store your Battery long term Re: Batt

[DML] Re:Is this a possible way to store your Battery long term Re: Batteries(long)

Since we are on the subject of batteries... And this may sound far
fetched...
But..Is this situation possible...I was given a very nice
18hp key start riding mower,that had sat garaged unused for 4 years
of it's 6 year life...
I got it home and tried to start it...the battery was Stone dead,not
a once of life to it...
So I took it out and checked the cells all were BONE DRY....so I
added distilled water and
filled all the cells to the proper level,then I figured...I will try
to charge it....I put it on the
charger(automatic charger) two hours later the charger clicked off
and the green led on the
charger came on telling me the battery was FULLY CHARGED.....

I really could not believe that a lead cell battery that was used for
two years..then sat connected to the lawn tractor for another 4
years..that was totally discharged...and any traces of water in the
cells had evaporated over that four years of not being used...and
then reinstalling fresh distilled water FOUR YEARS later and the
battery comes back to full life...

I did a load test..and yes...it is as if I had just installed a NEW
Battery...and works and starts my rider JUST FINE.......

My point here for the people in the Delorean community is it
possible......

To totally discharge your wet cell battery before you store your
Delorean for long term
 storage and remove the caps off the battery(the "liquid" in a
typical wet cell battery consists of water and sulfuric acid) to let
the water in the battery evaporate (the sulfuric acid gets absorbed
into the lead plates when a battery is fully discharged)Since without
the sulfuric acid all that is left is water(h2o)

By the way...That is why you never let a battery discharge in the
winter as the remaining water will freeze.

Could this be a possible way of storing a battery long term without
ruining it thru a long term discharge..or having to trickle charge it
all the time while not in use.

It worked for me(or at least on that one battery)

Has anybody tried this method...You might want to check on this
possibility..come Hibernation time for your Delorean...anybody else
have this type of experience with their wet cell battery.

If this turns out to be a way of saving your battery durning a long
term storage of your Delorean...it might just be worth spreading this
information so that others might benefit and learn about this
possible battery saver method.

Claude

<daviddelorean@...>: --------------

> > I'm trying to figure out how long a fully charged battery will
last.
> > What is the mathmatical formula for doing it? All my lights
(except
> > headlights) are LEDs. The tail & front market lights have 45
diodes,
> > the side markers have 3 diodes, license plates have 6 diodes,
door
> > markers (assuming I keep the doors open) have 6 diodes.
> >
> > So with doors open and parking lights on (headlights off) how
long will
> > my batter last from a full charge?
> >

> > To address comments privately to the moderating team, please
address:
> > moderators@...

www.dmcnews.com

> > Yahoo! Groups Links