From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Tom Tait
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2008 2:57 PM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] Door locks jammed? new fix!

We brought my wifes new '81 home yesterday and began assessing what needed
to be done first.  It was clear the door 'innards' were a mess, one window
dead up the other dead down, release latches barely working, etc.

I forgot to warn my wife not to lock the doors, she did and the power locks
kicked in.  When we realized they would not release again, I told her I
thought I could fix it, not to worry and to go inside for a while...

Apologies in advance to the ethically squeamish - but I found an easy way to
deal with it.  I took my 4 year old son to my '82 and taught him how to get
into the electrical panel, and we then practiced disconnecting the door lock
module.  I can assure you all that a 4 year old child can be successfully
inserted through an open window.  With a bit of direction, they can also do
reasonable electrical work too!

Once the solenoids were no longer powered we found the drivers door was
still jammed, but he was able to unlock the passenger door and open it from
the inside even before his mother knew what I had done. He's quite proud of
himself too for fixing mommy's new car.  I'm considering now trying to tech
him to get on the creeper and replace the fuel accumulator!

Starting over again - wish us luck.

Tom
10902
3238