[DML] Re: Alternator ? Should have included...

[DML] Re: Alternator ? Should have included...

Having the cooling fans run constantly is contributing to your
problem. Get the cooling fan wiring corrected. You might need to
replace the otterstdt switch and seal. That is what is supposed to run
the fans. Be sure you have no coolant leaks and all of the air is
purged out. Always keep a 50/50 mixture of permanent type anti-freeze
and soft water in the system. Make sure the radiator is not blocked on
the air side AND the coolant side. If you have a front license plate
it CANNOT block the grill to the radiator. If you are still
overheating you may have a popped head gasket. If you see bubbles in
the coolant when the motor is running it is not a good sign. Pull the
oil fill and look for signs of moisture. Optima batteries are not all
they are hyped up to be. Get it tested. Do not go for an oversize
alternator to correct a wiring problem. If your cooling fans run
constantly you will eventually melt the wiring in that circuit, it was
not designed for continuous operation. It HAS to cycle. You may also
have a loose or slipping vee belt. The same belt that runs the
alternator also turns the water pump.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Lee Edmonson" <lpedmonson@...> wrote:

> Thank you for the feedback. I had installed a new optima battery and
> it works fine if I hook it up to a bench charger occasionally, but it
> was not being properly charged in the vehicle. The previous owner had
> hard wired (through a new relay) the cooling fans to run all of the
> time because he had read that D's tended to overheat. I need to
> correct that issue, but have trouble with wiring due to a slight
> color blindness. I'll call a friend. The extra power draw can't be
> helping.
> I see that you have a 140 - 150 AMP unit and I will investigate it.
> Thanks again.
> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "John Hervey" <john@> wrote:
> >
> > Lee, The Motorola and the Ducy struggle under the best conditions
> to keep
> > the battery charged. If you start off with a good battery and don't
> turn on
> > the radiator fans and the blower motor it might keep up. 90 amps is

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)