Re: [DML] Alternator ? Should have included...

Re: [DML] Alternator ? Should have included...

Thank you for the feedback. I had installed a new optima battery and
it works fine if I hook it up to a bench charger occasionally, but it
was not being properly charged in the vehicle. The previous owner had
hard wired (through a new relay) the cooling fans to run all of the
time because he had read that D's tended to overheat. I need to
correct that issue, but have trouble with wiring due to a slight
color blindness. I'll call a friend. The extra power draw can't be
helping.
I see that you have a 140 - 150 AMP unit and I will investigate it.
Thanks again.
--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "John Hervey" <john@...> wrote:

> Lee, The Motorola and the Ducy struggle under the best conditions
to keep
> the battery charged. If you start off with a good battery and don't
turn on
> the radiator fans and the blower motor it might keep up. 90 amps is
the cold
> reading, after the alternator heats up it will start dropping and
will go
> down as far as 75 amps.
> John Hervey
> www.specialtauto.com

Behalf Of
> Lee Edmonson
> Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2008 2:06 PM
> To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [DML] Alternator ? Should have included...
>
> I should have first asked if the 130 AMP Delco alternator is the
way to
> go. Is a higher amperage output better than less? Would 90 AMPS be
OK?
> My original has not failed after 50 K miles, it just does not keep
the
> battery charged properly even though I drive it several times each
> week. This may partially be due to the fact that most of my driving
is
> short trips.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional