[DML] re: Warm Start issue

Heh - and give away all our trade secrets?  ;-)

We have seen this issue several times, and the smoking gun is that
there isn't one. The strangest was one where the PO had wired the
cold-start injector to fire all the time so that the car was fine
cold and hot but would flood out warm (this acted like a stuck-closed
thermo-time switch, but wasn't). These PO modifications are the
hardest to diagnose because you just don't expect them, and they hide
the wiring or plumbing modifications in interesting ways.

Otherwise its often a combination of things, or something that's gone
wrong and then been compesated for by changing something else. For
example - the control regulator goes out of spec so the car idles
poorly. Rather than replacing the defective CPR, the tech adjusts the
fuel distributor CO. Then the car idles OK but is either too rich or
lean everywhere else, which can lead to the problem (among others).
This is just an example, and I've seen cars with multiple issues that
you kind of peel back one at a time.

This also makes it expensive to just start tossing parts at it based
on suspicion and "what I saw last time", you really need to do your
diagnosis with pressure guage, dwell meter, vacuum guage, eyes, nose,
etc. . . The best explanation of how it's all supposed to work, and
how to measure everything is (believe it or not) in the fuel
injection section of the workshop manual and the technical manual.

That's where the trade secrets are!

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Toby Peterson" <Toby@...> wrote:

> The majority of the DeLorean vendors are too buried in cars needing
> attention right now to hover over the DML.  That said, if I get the
> gist of the original issue, an owner either had some work done in
> the "Valley of Death", or did it himself.  ... This is an often
overlooked massive vacuum leak.

> Toby Peterson VIN 2248 "Winged1"
> DMC Northwest - at 120% capacity right now
> DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
>

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dick Ryan" <deloreanbiker@> wrote:
> >
> > C'mon Rob, Steven, Dave, Don, Toby and others let's have some
vendor
> > input.
> >
> > Dick Ryan
> > Vin 16867