Re: [DML] Re: Carburetion Saves The Day -- Cold Start Valve (Elvis Noci

Re: [DML] Re: Carburetion Saves The Day -- Cold Start Valve (Elvis Nocita)

On Feb 11, 2008, at 8:06 PM, Dick Ryan wrote:

> I just find it more than a bit interesting that
> a) warm start problems are apparently suddenly rearing their ugly
> head;

Well, as I said in my previous message, there is nothing "sudden"
about it.  This issue has come up over and over for many years.   I
just did a quick search of the archives, here are a few excerpts from
what I found:

message #4102  Oct 28, 1999
[DML] Starting problem at in-between temps
This past weekend my DeLorean wouldn't start when the engine was warm,
but cooler than normal operating temp. Cold start is fine. Hot start is
fine. It only showed up if I left the car sit for a while and the
engine temp dropped to around 100 degrees or so. Then, no start. Let it
cool down another 1/2 hour and it started just fine. Drive down the
road. Stop at a rest area for 5 minutes. Engine is still warm when I
get back and it starts fine.
VIN 6820
----

message #4694  Tue Nov 16, 1999
[DML] Lukewarm Temp Starting
I have talked with sweatyeddie about this and his car is having the
same problem...
If my cars temperature drops but doesnt cool off entirely the car will
not start-- it will turn over but not start. I have had someone tell
me that it could be a "vapor lock". And eddie said that if you plug
the 'grey' plug into the 'blue' plug, which forces gas into the system,
it starts every time...I have not personally done that yet.
------

message #8272   Thu Apr 6, 2000
Hard Starting.
When my car sits for about 3-5 hours it is hard to impossible to start
the car. I thought it was the Gas, for awhile I was using 94 octane. I
switched back to 87 and the car started fine for a week and now its
back to
the same hard starting. The car starts right back up when warm. Last
night
my car sat in my garage for about 3 hours. I got in it to start it and
it
wouldn't start at all.
-----------

message #9614  Mon Jun 12, 2000
ECU & Fuel System
The other problem that we're having is a hot start problem. Cold, the
car starts with little or no hesitation. But once it has warmed up,
turned off, and then sits for at least 40 minutes or so, it takes at
least 5-8 steady cranks to start her. When we purchased the car, we
were told that the accumulator was new, and looking at it, it does
appear that way.
--------

message #18676 Thu Jul 12, 2001
Re: [DML] Me Too: Cold start valve question
 > However, I also have the infamous 'warm start' problem,
It takes around 20 to 25 minutes for the warmed-up car to be turned
off to not start again. If I try to restart after 15 minutes there is
fuel starvation but the car wil start. After 25 minutes I can crank
all I want (with or without the CSV disconnected) but the engine won't
start.
---------

message #23180  Wed Feb 13, 2002
more questions
ok.. cold start problems.
car will always start when warm, perfectly like a brand new machine.
if left for more than around 4-6 hours, even in the cold, the car will
without fail start on the first or second try... usually the second.
if left for less than 4 hrs but enough time to get cold again, the car
will
always start but only have much cranking, many tries, and much gas-pedal
pumping. when cranking the car simply cranks and cranks and then may
try to
turn over every now and again,. but will only start after pumping and
praying.
-----------

message # 41017 Tue May 4, 2004
Interesting idling stuff
Oh, just a clarification question... does a dead fuel
accumulator keep you from cranking up when HOT or
"warm"? If I have the car hot, turn it off, and
crank, I can fire right up. If it's "warm" - 1 to 2
hours - I have to swap the CPR and cold start
connections. I just want to make sure that it is the
accumulator and not some other unusual problem.

At this point, I got bored and quit.   There are plenty more.

As I said before, my guess is that this is just a generic symptom
caused by a variety of minor issues. Dunno.  But the syndrome is
certainly real, and I just can't see how it can be the accumulator
given that so many of us observe the problem after several hours.

--Pete Lucas
   VIN #06703

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional