[DML] Re: Warm Start Issue (David McKeen)

[DML] Re: Warm Start Issue (David McKeen)

I think you misunderstand the purpose of the accumulator. It's only
function is to maintain resting pressure so the fuel system is already
primed and ready for immediate restart on a warmed up engine. It
doesn't do this indefinitely BTW (see Message #74191, thank you David
for the exact numbers). How do you think your engine restarts after
the pressure has been bled off for fuel system work?

The DeLorean fuel pump is plenty strong enough to pressurize an empty
system. The problem is that the pump is not energized until the engine
is turning a certain number of RPM's. I don't know the exact number,
but it's more than the starter motor alone can yield. That's where hot
start problems come from. The cold start injector is electrically
operated, so it can spray before the system is up to primary pressure.
But the cold start injector does not spray into an already warmed up
engine, the assumption being that the accumulator is holding resting
pressure. Owners get around failing accumulators by forcing the cold
start injector to spray even into warm engines -- the CPR plug swap.

"Vapor lock" means just that -- evaporated gasoline has locked up the
fuel delivery system, preventing liquid gasoline from getting through.
 It's a low PSI problem, not an 80 PSI problem. It also is a problem
when those vapors have no where to go. The DeLorean fuel system is a
closed loop.  Any vapors in its line have somewhere to go -- back to
the tank.

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "bitsyncmater" <david.mckeen@...> wrote:
>
> If this were the case then there is no need for the accumulator.
> You just can't get the injectors to open with vapor in their lines.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)