Re: [DML] Re: Repeated Questions Solution: DeLorean Tech Wiki?

Re: [DML] Re: Repeated Questions Solution: DeLorean Tech Wiki?

Hmmm... I seem to have rambled on for a bit.  Wonder how many people
will bother to actually read all of this. :)

> He spent a lot of time in building a website and several HowTo's
> to help people to fix their cars.
> His Howto's are very detailed with pictures and son on, but
> people did not really care about it. Instead they find it more
> helpful to write emails to over 1000 people from where they receive
> 5 different answers (some of the good, some totally wrong) instead
> to google for a minute and to get everything they need.
>
> here is Jordan's webside:
>
> http://mydelorean.net/

I've used this before, and I've found it to be an excellent resource.
I would love to see articles with even half that level of detail and
quality in the wiki.

Here's the some of the problems with the current state of DeLorean
tech archives as I see it:

- There isn't a centralized place to find all of the information.
I'll stumble onto various how-tos and such when I google for help on a
subject, but some people just aren't very good with search engines,
and even then it can take me a while to find what I'm looking for.  If
we could try to consolidate all of these different sources into a
single, user-edited database like a wiki, we might be able to make it
easier for people to find the information they're looking for.

I'm not saying we should get rid of all the other sites -- they could
simply be referenced from the wiki.  No need to copy entire articles
from one site into the wiki, as long as the wiki indexes them properly
so people can find the information and points people to the correct
location.  Actually having the content on the wiki is advantageous
because then anyone can update ambiguous sections, add pictures,
provide tips, list alternatives, and so on.

- Searching the DML archives online sucks.  The Yahoo Groups search
tool is fairly pathetic.  I have five years of DML postings on my Mac
that I routinely search with Apple Mail, but even then I'll still
spend quite some time going through all the matches to find the
information I need.  This has nothing to do with the quality of the
posts -- it's simply that they are discussions, so often I need to
read the whole discussion and related responses to get at the
information I need.

We have all this great information from so many knowledgeable people,
but it's spread all over the place on personal web sites and forums
and mailing lists, which can make it quite difficult to actually find
the information in the first place.

_IF_ the wiki hits a critical mass of articles, it may be that
people's first stop will be the wiki instead of asking questions on
the forums.  And if they do ask questions, hopefully this will lead to
a new wiki entry.  It's not even a problem if someone asks a question
that's already in the wiki -- someone could simply reply to them with
a link to the page in the wiki, which in the future might lead them to
the wiki first, and if that doesn't answer their question they may
come back and ask for more information.

> OK, the social contact is important and makes fun, it's a part of
> owning a Delorean. But it is very disappointing to do such a lot
> of work to find out, that people do not care about it or want to
> have it written for them personal. And very often they do not even
> want to know how it works or what the problem is. To me it seems
> they want to find somebody who does the work for them or they want
> an easy fix like a Delorean-Door-Adjusting Spray....

That's fine.  Some people just want their car to work and don't want
to deal with the problems.  They should probably just take it to a
mechanic if they aren't willing to do the work themselves.  But
there's always going to be people like this.  I work as a software
developer and we get lots of questions from clueless users all the
time.  It's just one of those things.  They're actually a relatively
small percentage of the user base, but they're a vocal one, so they
SEEM large.  Your average user is generally quite agreeable.

Jordan's tutorials are so finely written and presented that most of
the time you don't hear from people who liked them and found them to
be just what they needed.  Same with software; you hear about the bugs
all the time, or how it doesn't work right, but you rarely hear from
the person who uses it every day without an issue.

Let's try another example:  Computer repair.  I spilled ice tea on my
laptop a few weeks ago.  I'm knowledgeable enough that I could take it
apart and clean it out.  I had killed the hard drive, so I replaced
it.  I also corroded the left I/O board with tea and had to clean it
off, and I thought I had to replace the wifi card (it was just the I/O
board).  And then I had to re-apply the thermal paste on the heat sink
when I unseated it from the CPU accidentally.  These aren't very
difficult for me at all.

But I'd never opened this laptop before.  I didn't know the locations
of all the screws, which cables needed to be disconnected, and so on.
I could just poke around and try things, but I really didn't want to
make it any worse than I already had. I could bring it to Apple and
pay the $1250 liquid damage repair fee, but that seemed like a lot
considering that the laptop mostly worked.  I could post on Apple
forums asking how to take apart the laptop to clean it, but I wasn't
sure that would be so useful without pictures.

Instead I found ifixit.com ( http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/ ), which has
detailed, step-by-step walkthroughs on how to disassemble and replace
every significant part of every modern Apple product, all in one
place.  What a fantastic resource.  Their level of detail is up there
with Jordan's site.

However, it is equally important to note that I didn't need to know a
damn thing about how these parts of the computer worked -- I only
needed to know what was broken and how to replace it and fix it.
Sure, it's NICE to know how such things work, and there are cases
where it is important to know for optimal operation, and you certainly
do need a minimal understanding of how anything operates before you
work on it.  But often just some high-level guides are enough, and
then you can read the detailed guide to understand exactly why it
failed and why the change you did fixed it.

This is how I feel about working on my DeLorean.  I know I can do it,
I just find that I don't necessarily know where to start half the
time, or what to dismantle, and I find the manuals to be lacking.  My
greatest concern is getting to a point where I can't put the car back
together again.  I'm better now than I was when I first got it, but
mostly in specific parts of the car that I've worked on before, while
other parts are still a complete mystery to me.  Especially parts that
have significant safety implications, where I'd really like some
detailed do's and don'ts so I don't get myself killed when I take it
for a drive after my last repair.

I'm certainly not saying that we should only have step-by-step high-
level replacement guides without any theory or detailed operational
knowledge.  I believe there are places for both of those.  Sometimes I
just want to know what screws I need to pull to replace the warm-up
regulator, or what size wrenches I need for the fuel accumulator, and
some quick step-by-steps to get me through the process without having
to decipher the manuals, especially when the guides have extra tips
and hints that the manuals just assume you already know because
clearly you're an professional mechanic or otherwise you wouldn't have
these manuals (at least that's how the manuals seem like they're
written to me).  Other times, I really do want to know just how it
works so I can get the best results out of my repair, or know when
I've reached my limits and need to bring in a pro.

In the long run, you don't do this stuff for other people (I mean, not
entirely); you do it for yourself, because you want the resource, but
you also like to help others.  If some people don't appreciate you're
work, that's their problem.  That's just my opinion, though.

> AND here's THE source:
>
> http://www.dmcnews.com/techmain.htm

I've found this very helpful as well.

> When I bought my car the first thing was to get the manuals and to
> read whatever I thought might need to be fixed. If I still had
> questions (and I had a looot of them !) I asked othe owners. But
> first I tried to understand the basic stuff.
> Is this too much for today new owners ?

I have them too.  I got my DMC 5 years ago, and I knew nothing of
working on cars.  I brought mine to a mechanic, but I read through the
manuals as much as I could.  Once I moved out to the middle of
nowhere, I had no choice but to do the work myself, and I learned
quite a lot (with many calls to DeLorean Motor Center).  But I still
have trouble getting useful information out of the DeLorean manuals.
I find that they often assume that I already know what I'm doing,
either omitting what I consider to be key steps or not explaining why
something needs to be done.

I honestly would like to see tutorials and tech advice on the level of
"I'm really eager to give it a try, and I know how to use basic tools
and understand basically how a car is put together, but I really
haven't worked on a car before, and I'd rather not disable/break it
while I'm trying to fix it".  I believe this is the stepping stone
that many new owners need to move into really taking care of their
cars themselves.  And these benefit advanced owners, too, since they
can use these as refreshers and quick references.

> Don't misunderstand me - I love to help newbies, and I helped
> many so far. But everything on this "Forum" is repeated so often.
> Why ?
> Describe it once. Correctly. and forget the sometimes very strange
> theories of some people....

This would be an issue with the wiki, too.  If everyone can edit it,
then anyone can add some pet theory or what not.  I really don't have
much of a problem with that, though, as long as the conventional
wisdom is the primary focus, and the more theoretical stuff is clearly
marked and listed as an addendum.  And again, a user-updated system
would allow new details and tips to be added, alternate solutions to
be posted, and so on.

But there are also the issues that change over the years, as has been
mentioned before, like tires and oil and so on.  So you DO want those
to be updated periodically.

> This mailing list sends each email to over 1000 email addresses,
> but only about 20 are writing here. This means about over 900
> get their mailbox stuffed and try to filter the useful stuff for
> them. 1000 mails - and some people here are using this list as their
> personal chatroom!!!

A lot of people are like me, who lurk in the background, reading all
the information that comes in, and occasionally ask a question or post
a reply.  You do need enough traffic, even if it isn't substantial,
just so that people don't forget the list exists.  I think the signal
to noise ratio is reasonably good, even if some personal conversations
do show up.  But I have a high tolerance for noise, and am willing to
filter.

I'm hoping a wiki could address some of this by letting the lurkers
who just want to read the information get that information directly,
and not have to filter through all those posts to locate it.

> I'd like to get informed about new stuff, the DCS and so on, but I
> really do not care if somebody wants to participate at something or
> not. Many mails per day doesn't mean high quality !!!!

That's true, but that's the nature of this kind of mailing list.  Some
kind of "announcements" list might be interesting, one that was fully
moderated so only announcements were allowed.  Again, there's the
issue of critical mass (enough people need to subscribe so that people
will bother posting announcements to it), but it might be a good
solution, instead of the current cross-positing to the various
DeLorean lists and forums.  Re-enforcing it by having moderators on
the other lists mark announcements by saying they should go to a
specific announcements list might help get that critical mass, too.

-- Joe

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: