[DML] DeLorean vs Volvo F Series Question

[DML] DeLorean vs Volvo F Series Question

I am corresponding with an owner Re: spark advance. As we all know,
DMC decided to use only one centrifugal counterweight inside its
distributors rather than two (Volvo used two on its imports to the
exact same North American market). To compensate, DMC:
- Bumped base ignition time from 10 to 13 degrees BTDC
- Ran full manifold vacuum rather than ported vacuum to the advance
diaphragm

This oOf course leads to generally overadvanced ignition, so for
better starting and cold engine performance DMC further:
- Ran its vacuum through a thermactor valve and an idle cutoff
solenoid before the distributor

My question: Why did DMC find it necessary to reinvent the spark
advance wheel?

B28F has two centrifugal counterweights, 10 degree base ignition time
(steeper advance curve), and only one vacuum line from a ported barb
under the throttle plates directly to the advance diaphragm. What
could be simpler?

And again: Volvo imported its setup into the exact same North American
markets, during the exact same time period (1981-1983). If their setup
was good enough for the US government, shouldn't DMC have been able to
use it too?

BTW: US Volvos also came with a Y pipe and single catalytic converter.
They used Lambda as well.

More engineering from Dunmurry that causes me to scratch my head.

Bill Robertson

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: