Re: [DML] Re: Source for proper wheel alignment specs?

Re: [DML] Re: Source for proper wheel alignment specs?

Huh? The tie rod floats. Its' function is toe in/out and to tie the front wheels together, thus the name. Threads showing, or not, won't make any difference in steering, unless it falls off.

Harold McElraft <hmcelraft@xxxxxxx> wrote:          Not having a straight steering wheel can mean several misalignment
issues or only a minor tie-rod adjustment to center the wheel.

If there are unequal lengths of threads showing at the tie rods - the
steering wheel should be off-center and the short-thread side will
cause the car to have a shorter turning radius when turning to the
long-thread side. Also, depending on the severity of unequal threads
showing, the short-thread wheel may rub the sway bar when turned in.
In this case, the steering wheel, if all spines are in the correct
place will be off-center. If someone took off the steering wheel to
center it then the front-end is set up incorrectly - unequal turning
radius R to L, and the turn signal will not cancel properly. There
are other scenarios I have seen that equal an improper alignment.

The alignment process needs to start at the front wheels and be
progressively checked back up the line to the steering wheel. The
shaft spines have to be in the right spot to get the signal cancel
correct - then you can see if the steering wheel is on correctly.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dan" <djdanwilson@...> wrote:

> David, thanks for all the good info. My old tires are still on the
> car. Currently my steering wheel is not centered. When driving
> straight down the road it's cocked to the left just enough to be
> noticeable. It was that way when I bought it three years ago. When
you
> release the wheel in the center lane on the highway, the car tracks
> pretty straight. Should I have the steering wheel centered? Other
than
> looking odd I didn't think it made a mechanical difference.
>
> On the freeway/highway I do get some shaking in the steering wheel,
> but I assumed that was from the flat spots that had developed in my
> current tires when a previous owner let the car sit for several
years.
> I don't seem to recall any pulling to the left or right during
> acceleration and breaking, but the brakes feel out of round (w/ no
> pulsing felt in the brake pedal) when stopping. There is no play or
> looseness in the steering.

Chris
06301
Find me on Google Earth