From: daviddelorean <daviddelorean@xxxxxxxxx>
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2008 7:33:39 PM
Subject: [DML] Removed my own binnacle! Cleaned/replaced lights

It was a lazy sunday today and I had nothing to do. I decided that
instead of giving a shop $200 to remove my binnacle, I'd do it
myself. Wasn't hard at all once I studied the underneith of the dash.
In fact, it only took 30 minutes. It was important to have a good
work light; I used one of my construction portable halogen lamps. It
lit up the underneith like a football field.

First, I had to take off the 2 decorative trim pieces under the
steering wheel. They are held on by 4 nuts. No biggie.

Next I removed the plastic air duct that runs under the dash to the
door vent. My door vents are plugged up anyway, so removing this
didn't make a difference.

With the plastic air duct gone, everything I had to do to remove the
binnacle was right there. 6 tiny nuts. I needed to go to the store to
get a 'metric' set of nut drivers though (remember our cars were made
in Ireland). After the nuts were removed the binnacle slid right
out. I had to remove the wire harnesses (which are just snap ins).
Then I took off the plastic front.

I cleaned all that pesky dust that was stuck in place for 25 years.
It was fun seeing how everything works and touching the gage needles.
I cleaned everything so it looks brand new.

Finally I replaced all the bulbs with LEDs (except for the alternator
light - I assumed it won't work with an LED). The tell tale warning
lights are now a brilliant, piercing color. I also put white LEDs in
for the gage illumination. It looks awesome! The gages now light up
a brilliant pure white light.

On a side note, while laying on my back on the floor, I saw the front
dashboard speakers. They are held on from underneith with 2 nuts and
can easily be replaced. The wires are just snap ins. I got a quote
for $1,000 for this job. I can do it myself in no time now that I
know where to look.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: