[DML] Re: Removed my own binnacle! Cleaned/replaced lights

[DML] Re: Removed my own binnacle! Cleaned/replaced lights

Welcome to the learning curve.

I'd suspect most new owners approach their DeLoreans quite cautiously,
not wanting to screw up a significant investment. And the car
certainly looks exotic, which tends to make the uninitiated think its
engineering is beyond the capabilities of an average mechanic. The
more you work on your particular vehicle, the more you will discover
how conventional it in fact is.

There are a few tricky areas, such as the torsion bars already
discussed, but most of the car can be repaired in your own driveway,
usually working solo.

This period of familiarization in which you now find yourself is
crucial. The better you know the car, the better prepared you will be
*WHEN* (not if) something goes wrong. Remember: Most third party
mechanics aren't interested in messing with a DeLorean. They have more
than enough business from cars they're familiar with, and quite
frankly are not scared of (the uninitiated comment above applies to
mechanics too). Your own messages have indicated what to expect from them.

Regarding the front speakers: Be aware that most replacements will
have voice coils or tweeters that stick up too tall for the factory
mounting studs (they hit the dash before stud threads pass through the
housing). You're going to have trouble finding satisfactory speakers
that small anyway <DML flame alert, DML flame alert>. A popular
solution is carpeted speaker boxes mounted in the footwells.

Personally, I'd concentrate on your mechanical and electrical systems
first. All the creature comforts in the world are useless if the car
isn't reliable or road worthy. If you haven't purchased a Workshop
Manual yet, that needs to be your next purchase. An enlarged wiring
diagram, WITH A LEGEND, is also fairly requisite. When you're ready to
really get down & dirty with your engine, Volvo B28 (and even B27)
factory literature is extremely helpful.

Enjoy your fine new ride. Perform as many repairs as you feel capable
of doing. Don't be afraid to stretch your knowledge and skills base.
Make every experience a learning experience. And despite what some
Grumpy Gus's say, reach out owners who have already walked this same
path before you.

None of us were born as skilled and experienced owners.

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "daviddelorean" <daviddelorean@...>
wrote:

> It was a lazy sunday today and I had nothing to do. I decided that
> instead of giving a shop $200 to remove my binnacle, I'd do it
> myself. Wasn't hard at all once I studied the underneith of the dash.
> In fact, it only took 30 minutes. It was important to have a good
> work light; I used one of my construction portable halogen lamps. It
> lit up the underneith like a football field.
>
> First, I had to take off the 2 decorative trim pieces under the
> steering wheel. They are held on by 4 nuts. No biggie.
>
> Next I removed the plastic air duct that runs under the dash to the
> door vent. My door vents are plugged up anyway, so removing this
> didn't make a difference.
>
> With the plastic air duct gone, everything I had to do to remove the
> binnacle was right there. 6 tiny nuts. I needed to go to the store to
> get a 'metric' set of nut drivers though (remember our cars were made
> in Ireland).  After the nuts were removed the binnacle slid right
> out.  I had to remove the wire harnesses (which are just snap ins).
> Then I took off the plastic front.
>
> I cleaned all that pesky dust that was stuck in place for 25 years.
> It was fun seeing how everything works and touching the gage needles.
> I cleaned everything so it looks brand new.
>
> Finally I replaced all the bulbs with LEDs (except for the alternator
> light - I assumed it won't work with an LED). The tell tale warning
> lights are now a brilliant, piercing color. I also put white LEDs in
> for the gage illumination.  It looks awesome! The gages now light up
> a brilliant pure white light.
>
> On a side note, while laying on my back on the floor, I saw the front
> dashboard speakers. They are held on from underneith with 2 nuts and
> can easily be replaced. The wires are just snap ins. I got a quote
> for $1,000 for this job. I can do it myself in no time now that I
> know where to look.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: