[DML] Re: How to Remove Binnacle

Send an email to Josh Haldeman jhaldeman@xxxxxxxx

He has a comprehensive step by step guide on how to do it as painless
as possible. I won't post it because I don't have his specific
permission, but I'm sure he'll send it to you.

In a nutshell, there are 6 tiny 7mm (i think they are 7's) nuts that
hold it to the dash. four across the front and two towards the rear.
Two of the front ones are hidden directly on either side of the
steering column, so you will have to unbolt and remove the leather
skirt piece that surrounds the steering column to expose them. Use a
quarter inch ratchet with a long 10 inch extension and a 7mm socket.
You might need an extension with a swivel head since the angle of some
of the nuts are a little steep.

Josh recommends removing the black plastic heater ducting that goes
over the steering column, but i was able to get it out while leaving
it in place.

Once all the nuts are out, rock the binnacle forward to expose the
speedo cable and two electrical connectors. Both the electrical and
speedo just unclip with squeeze clips. Then lift the binnacle out.

The instrument cluster is held into the binnacle by 6 philips screws.
Two of the bottom philips screws hold in two metal brackets that can
slide and adjust. You might want to mark an outline with a marker so
when you put it back together, you have the brackets aligned the way
they were.

If you are a tall guy like myself, I also found it extremely helpful
to remove the drivers seat. It comes out with just 4 bolts from
underneath. Be sure to slide it forward on the rack before lifting out
of the car so it doesn't catch on the bolt holding the seat belt clasp
to the tunnel.

Once you take the binnacle out a few times, it gets easier. I can pull
one in about 15 minutes now.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "daviddelorean" <daviddelorean@...> wrote:

> Is there a directional guide online that shows how to remove the
> binnacle? I'd like to clean the inside of mine (dusty) and replace the
> light bulbs with LEDs.
>
> The shops in California want $200 to remove it, which seems steep.
> Unless there is more to it than just unscrewing some screws. I looked
> around under the dash and saw a few screws but not all of them. And of
> course I don't want to end up taking it off and not being able to put
> it back on.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: