[DML] Re: door struts

The Torsion bars DO NOT hold the doors open,the struts hold the
doors open.
Just think of the Torsion bars as a type of spring..when you close
your Delorean Doors..you are putting the Torsion bars under a load
or torque pressure,like a  compressed coiled spring would be when it
is compressed..when you open your delorean doors..you are releasing
that  loaded torque pressure,(like uncompressing a  compressed coil
spring) and the only pressure that is held by the torsion bar when
the door is fully opened,is the "adjusted preloaded pressure" that
was setup when tne torsion bar was installed into place...which in
itself is NOT enough to hold the doors open. That is when the strut
holds the door in the open position.

They work hand in hand,one opens the door(the torsion bar) to the
full upright position..the other(the strut)TAKES OVER when the
torsion bar unloads it's torque..to keep the door in the full
upright position.The strut also helps regulate the speed in which
the door(s) swings open,and cushions the unloaded shock at the end
cycle of the torsion bar.(It keeps it from warping/bending the
door)

That is WHY if a torsion bar is going to snap it will ALWAYS snap
with the door(s) closed since that is when the torsion bars are
under full torque or pressure.Which if they are going to snap, it is
the safest way since they are fully enclosed and cannot harm you or
the car in any way!
And by the way if you ever hear one snap it will sound just like a
very loud shotgun blast. And if it happens to be the Drivers side
that snaps..you will quickly find out how heavy a Delorean door
really is.

Claude

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "tuxr" <tuxdarby@...> wrote:

> I don't think they were replaced twice, one time might have been
the
> louver struts.  I could be mistaken though, my memory aint what it
> used to be.  I don't think DMC Florida was open in the fall of
2004,
> they couldn't have been replaced then by them though, I never had
it
> at DMC Houston.
>
> Former owner #2613
>
> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Farrar Hudkins <fhudkins@> wrote:
> >
> > Going over my car's history I see that the door struts were
replaced
> (by
> > DMC) in the autumn of 2004 and again in July of 2006. They still
sag
> > badly when it's below 60F. Should I try a stronger strut, or
should
> > get the torsion bars adjusted by a pro?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Farrar Hudkins