[DML] Re: Doors not working properly

Either find a local Delorean club or take your car to one of the
Delorean vendors. In any case DO NOT let any of these guys touch the
doors! The price is WAY out of line, they are probably figuring on
having someone else do the work anyway and making a lot of money off
of you. There is NO reason to remove the doors unless there is
accident damage. Certainly not to adjust them unless they are way out
of line and the hinges need to be reshimmed. If, when closed, the gaps
are roughly equal all around, then the doors should not need to be
removed. It is possible that you have new struts but they may not be
the correct ones. If you do not know then you may have to replace
them. Simple test over at dmcnews.com under tech. You remove the strut
and slowly close the door. It should hang open a certain amount. If it
doesn't hang open the right amount you may need a torsion bar
adjustment. If it does hang open the right amount then you need a new
CORRECT strut. I do not recomend attempting to adjust the torsion bars
alone without the right tools and *some* experience. There is a
certain amount of danger to you and your car if it should get away
from you. Adjusting the torsion bar is really a two person job anyway.
Door struts don't last forever so if they are over 5 years old they
are probably losing their oomph and in cold weather will not hold the
door all the way open.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "daviddelorean" <daviddelorean@...> wrote:

> I visited some DMC owners recently and some repair shops. One thing I
> noticed on the cars that are in very good shape is that the doors as
> light as a feather. I could lift the handle with my pinky finger and
> whoooooooooooosh with no effort at all the doors shot up.
>
> My car isn't in that great of shape, and my doors weigh a ton. The
> passenger side door is very heavy but does pop up when open. The driver
> door weighs a ton, and needs help opening all the way. The hydrolic
> struts are brand new.  Some of the shop owners told me that my doors
> need to be "set" and I got quotes of $2,500 - $3,500 to take the doors
> off and fix them. That seems like a lot of money. Is there any other
> way I can fix the doors myself?

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: