[DML] Ethical Sports Cars...

Hi Al,

It sounds like you haven't yet read JZD's book, "On a Clear Day You Can See
GM".  Go pick up a copy.  I think I just saw the paperback version on Amazon
for around $2.50.  It will answer your question about the ethical sports car
idea.  Basically he wanted to build a car that the company could stand
behind.or at least that's where he started.  What developed is another story
entirely.  For that one, read "Hard Driving" by Bill Haddad as well as
DeLorean's Autobiography.  Those two combined, give you kind of an overall
sense of the company's history.

".With a frame that rusts as badly if not worse than its contemporaries."

It does?  I think epoxy coated steel was a lot better than the cheap frame
paint I find on even some of today's cars.  DeLorean at least gave you some
measure of protection against the elements right from the factory.and on the
late 82's and 83's, he even added factory undercoating over the epoxy!  I've
run into relatively few DeLoreans that have terrible condition frames.  They
do exist, but most cars have just surface rust here and there.  I'm not
saying epoxy coating steel is a method without flaws, but it's a lot better
than most of the DeLorean's contemporaries.

A twin turbo model would have definitely been worth more than the base cars,
if put into production.but what if the company also sold aftermarket engine
upgrade kits?  Kind of like what Island Turbo and others already did in the
80's and 90's?  If you were on a budget, and couldn't afford the more
expensive twin-turbo, then maybe you could buy a kit for less and do it
yourself.  We'll never know how the company would have handled that.but if I
ever get my time circuits working, I'll be sure to go back and rewrite that
particular part of history so we can find out.  (hehe)

-Josh

VIN 5102
VIN 15964
VIN 11289