[DML] Re: Further Thoughts on Angle Drives

[DML] Re: Further Thoughts on Angle Drives

Bill,

I followed the discussion and come to the conclusion that your
solution perhaps is the second best next to buying a new angle drive.

I'm looking forwar to seeing your results in pictures with
explanation to help others do the same rebuild.

Welmoed.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@...> wrote:

> Martin disagrees with me? Please tell me it isn't so.
>
> Whatever the cause, angle drive gears definitely behave
directionally.
> Turning the spindle gear counterclockwise (our primary direction of
> wheel rotation) spins it right out of the housing. Turning it
> clockwise does not spin it out. Take the back off one of your extras
> and try it yourself if you don't believe me.
>
> Something caused my "high mileage" (with a DeLorean, "high mileage"
is
> always a relative term) bushing to wear oblong. The only
explanation I
> can see is torque skew allowed by that convex insert, as the
> directional effects of counterclockwise rotation forced the spindle
> gear mercilessly against it.
>
> Anyways, I've decided to make the spindle cable my weak link in the
> imfamous DeLorean speedometer chain. Obviously the gears themselves
> aren't going to be damaged. Cable fit in the wheel cup (usual weak
> link) is notoriously loose, so I bush mine out with a piece of brass
> channel pressed onto the cable end -- fits the wheel cup precisely,
> rather than wallowing around as most do. That leaves the spindle
cable
> the weak link, weakened even further by being wound counterclockwise
> itself. My spindle gear now has a square cable receptacle (I filed
the
> old brass insert square and pressed a metal receiver into it. All
I'll
> ever need do now is insert a fresh spindle cable, square on both
ends,
> into the receptacle to keep right on trucking.
>
> I chose the spindle cable over the wheel cup because they are
> available in stock locally, and only cost $5 versus $15.
>
> Feel free do disagree at your leisure.
>
> Bill Robertson

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional