[DML] Re: Further Thoughts on Angle Drives
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[DML] Re: Further Thoughts on Angle Drives



Martin disagrees with me? Please tell me it isn't so.

Whatever the cause, angle drive gears definitely behave directionally.
Turning the spindle gear counterclockwise (our primary direction of
wheel rotation) spins it right out of the housing. Turning it
clockwise does not spin it out. Take the back off one of your extras
and try it yourself if you don't believe me.

Something caused my "high mileage" (with a DeLorean, "high mileage" is
always a relative term) bushing to wear oblong. The only explanation I
can see is torque skew allowed by that convex insert, as the
directional effects of counterclockwise rotation forced the spindle
gear mercilessly against it.

Anyways, I've decided to make the spindle cable my weak link in the
imfamous DeLorean speedometer chain. Obviously the gears themselves
aren't going to be damaged. Cable fit in the wheel cup (usual weak
link) is notoriously loose, so I bush mine out with a piece of brass
channel pressed onto the cable end -- fits the wheel cup precisely,
rather than wallowing around as most do. That leaves the spindle cable
the weak link, weakened even further by being wound counterclockwise
itself. My spindle gear now has a square cable receptacle (I filed the
old brass insert square and pressed a metal receiver into it. All I'll
ever need do now is insert a fresh spindle cable, square on both ends,
into the receptacle to keep right on trucking.

I chose the spindle cable over the wheel cup because they are
available in stock locally, and only cost $5 versus $15.

Feel free do disagree at your leisure.

Bill Robertson
#5939

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <martin@...> wrote:
>
> Well I'm 100% convinced your wrong. By your argument, the fact that I 
> broke one of mine by going backwards means that they're definitely only 
> designed to go forwards.
> 
> You can't just "turn the gears around" from a right hand drive car, the 
> speedo would want to go backwards!
> 
> The symptoms you've observed are more likely to do with wear than
design.
> 
> The gears are NOT directional, by their very nature of being simple 90 
> degree screw gears, they can't be.
> 
> I think Marc's mechanic assumed they'd be bevel gears, which can have 
> helical teeth (like in an angle grinder) but screw gears cannot.
> 
> Martin
> 




To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
moderators@xxxxxxxxxxx

For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale see www.dmcnews.com

To search the archives or view files, log in at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:dmcnews-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 
    mailto:dmcnews-fullfeatured@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    dmcnews-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 


Home Back to the Home of PROJECT VIXEN


Copyright 2006 ProjectVixen.com.  All rights reserved.

Opinions expressed in posts reflect the views of their respective authors.
DMCForum Mailing List Archive  DMCNews Mailing List Archive  DMC-UK Mailing List Archive