[DML] Re: Further Thoughts on Angle Drives

[DML] Re: Further Thoughts on Angle Drives

I have two drives open at the moment and have been playing with &
comparing them. One has much more wear on the brass bushing that holds
the spindle gear than the other. That drive also siezes when the
spindle gear wallows over ever so slightly. It does this no matter
which spindle gear is installed. I've watched very closely as that
gear is then moved over *JUST A HAIR* and the bind releases.

This all happens turning the gears by hand. Note that the wallowy
housing does not bind spinning backwards, even with the square rod I'm
using clamped into a drill. As Marc suggested, the gear teeth are
definitely directional -- in the other direction than DMC uses.

FYI: my spindle gear has been modified to accept a square drive cable.
Will make it easier to replace the spindle cable the next time it
fails (the stupid thing *IS* wound in the same direction as our
primary wheel rotation...)

Not only am I 100% convinced (sorry Martin, Elvis, et al) that our
angle drives are designed for right wheel applications -- DMC just
turned them around backwards -- but I would bet the primary reason
they fail is because that bushing wears and allows the teeth to bind.
Note that because DMC turns the gears backwards, the spindle gear is
pulled towards the back of the housing (with no back on the drive it
spins right on out). When it bottoms out against that convex piece of
metal, additional pressure is put on the brass bushing. Combined with
inadequate lubrication, the bushing wears, becomes wallowy, and the
teeth eventually bind.

BTW: Our lubrication screws are pretty much useless to stop this:
1) They are upside down
2) They do not lubricate the brass bushings

FWIW: The metal the spindle gears are made of is pretty hard stuff.
Out of curiosity I tried to tap some threads in the smooth bore (just
to see how difficult it would be versus Grade 5 or 8 bolts). My
verdict: The spindle gear is harder than a Grade 8 bolt. None of my
teeth have any visible or feelable (with a precision screwdriver
blade) wear. Assuming the speedometer gear is similarly hard, I really
don't think teeth wear is an issue.

Feel free to flame away...

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft@...> wrote:
>
> IMHO - the only real problem with the speedometer drive and cables
> was lubrication, weather protection and maintenance. If properly
> installed and maintained I've seen no problem. I've put over 200,000
> miles on my cars with no problems.
>
> Yes - I had an angle drive break but I let the lower cable go dry and
> seize. I replaced it about 20,000 miles ago.
>
> Harold McElraft - 3354

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: