RE: [DML] Seat belt repair or replace?

Hi Tom,

Have no fear, it's very easy to do this job if you know the correct method.
The cover panel, strangely called the armrest extension, even though that's
the smallest part of the whole panel, can be removed simply by following
these steps:

-          unscrew the screws at the top and bottom corners (the one on the
bottom is under the carpet)

-          remove the bolt at the top of the seatbelt

-          pull off the inner weatherstripping that covers the panel (no
need to remove all of it)

-          pry off the red weatherstripping clips

-          get a hair dryer or a heat gun, (Harbor Freight sells one that
works for $10) and gently heat the edge of the panel material until it
becomes flexible enough to pry it off with a flathead screwdriver.

If you don't use the heat gun or hair dryer, the material will definitely
crack, but I've been using one on all the panels I've removed and
reinstalled with nothing but success.  If the material does start to tear,
just stop and heat it up more.  I've found it works well to follow the heat
gun up the panel edge immediately followed by the screwdriver.

After you release the edge completely, you should be able to just simply
pull the panel forward and out of the car.  This will give you access to the
seatbelt mechanism itself, (held on by one 19mm bolt) as well as the rear
speaker and, if you're lucky, a mouse nest or two.  Especially if the car
has been sitting for a long time.

I would recommend not tossing the old seatbelt...if you have the desire and
know-how, you can make your wife or daughter a lovely purse from the
material.  See this link: http://www.twofoos.com/crafts/sp.html  These are
becoming increasingly popular, and I just finished making my wife one from
the seatbelts out of the fire car I had.  She loves it...and it's a DeLorean
original.  John would have loved it!

Reassembly of the panel is just the reverse of the removal...you don't
really need any new glue to hold the panel in place, as once you put it back
on the weatherstripping holds it in...but if you do decide you want to use
some, the best I've found is Hi-Strength 90 spray adhesive from 3M.  (Thanks
again Randall!)  Just don't overspray and coat your interior with it.

Good luck, and if you have any questions along the way, you can contact me
off list (jhaldeman(AT)fuse.net) and I'll do my best to help.

-Josh

VIN 5102
VIN 15964
VIN 11289