[DML] Re: Fuel Metering

Quick history lesson:

In the dark ages of DeLorean ownership, a fellow named Charles Muffley
replaced his K-Jet with a carburetor. His efforts were quite well
received. Even to this day he holds a place of reverence (there's some
sort of Charles Muffley engineering award that's handed out from time
to time. I think it's Mid Atlantic sponsored).

Fast forward to 2004. About 10 days before Pigeon Forge I did the
exact same thing, but my efforts have had a very different reception.
Go figure (especialy ironic when you consider that my harshest critics
are Mid Atlantic members).

Anyway, back to your question: I have personally seen two carbureted
DeLoreans burning original PRV's: Mine and Lou Costa's. Rick Gendreau
burns a carb on his 500 inch plant, as Kyle Franklin does on his 350.
Last month there was a DeLorean for sale in Va Beach that burns a
carbureted 302 (if I weren't unemployed I might have bought it).
There's also a carbureted Vortec running around. Carbureted DeLoreans
are certainly a minority, but they do exist.

I am currently in conversation with yet another owner who expresses
interest in trying carburetion. I'd estimate he's the dozenth to
contact me. Intake manifolds are always the limiting factor. I
actually located an A series manifold just like mine for a fellow in
California once (Dani B?), who promptly sold his car thereafter. To
this day I wonder where that manifold went. For the current owner I'm
exploring the possibility of modifying a 3.0/B280 manifold.

Somewhere on the 'net I've seen a picture of a DeLorean with a
carburetor piped into a K-Jet manifold where the U-Pipes usually mate
up. I seem to remember it being a temporary installation (to drive the
car home) because it stood too tall for the engine cover & louvers.

Sooner or later my critics will eventually realize that I do not care
what they think about my fuel metering. Their names are not on my
title -- they have no say in my decision. The harshest eMails I ever
received came from a fellow who claimed to be an airline pilot and was
threatening to drop his DeLorean from an airplane (how's THAT for
frustration with K-Jet). Even he gave up & went away. And through it
all #5939 continues to motor on....

See you in Gettysburg.

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683@...> wrote:
>
> I really think you are one of the few who really wants to go back in
> time with their Delorean and Carburetor it. Bill it was a Movie and
> the car really wasn't meant to go back in time. ;)
>
> I hate to see what you would want to do with.... Hmm-mm.... a 2004
> Mustang, Yep Carburetor it!
>
> However my hat is off to you for wanting to be different and there is
> nothing wrong with that. It is nice to see another Delorean that
> isn't a Cookie cutter version of the original, I know how boring
> original Deloreans can be.
>
> Mark V

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional