[DML] Re: Gullwing Doors on Any Car

You are correct on the physics of crashing,but the main thing is
keeping the crumple/crush impact out or off the passenger
compartment,which the Bricklin did very successfully,since the
windshield did not even crack,or the passenger compartment did not
suffer any damage at all,which is the  most important point keeping
the stess of the impact off the would be passengers or the
interior...vs the
Delorean passenger compartment,not only was the nose on the car
destroyed,but the passengers and the passenger compartment
IMPACTED/stressed the full brunt force of the impact,and the impact
spread far enough backwards that it basically twisted the car,most
likely causing the would be passengers major traumatic injuries or
possible death,again vs the Bricklin which did not suffer ANY
passenger compartment Brunt force AT ALL.If you notice on most new
car crash tests they strive for the same type of crush like with the
Bricklin crush..(keeping the Crush or impact out of the passenger
compartment,which the Bricklin successfully did,which translates in
the passengers being safe).....not anything like the Delorean
crush..which in today's standards would take/make that car (the DMC)
a likely candidate for a serious report as a very unsafe car.
Also to be fair to both cars today they use the quarter nose impact
test,which basically is similar to two cars impacting head-on with
the front quarter nose of each car

Claude

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, mike wolterbeek <drsafety101@...>
wrote:

> Alas, we may fail to see the physics of crashing.  Crumple zones
destroy the car but lessen the passenger impact.  Stiff chassis may
lead to a repairable car but a dead driver.

>   http://members.aol.com/CErick5563/physics/crumple.html
>

> cbl1739 <cbl302@...> wrote:
>
> Truthfully...which car would you rather be in.....
>
> Delorean
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mjd2NTJU9g
>
> OR
>
> Bricklin
>
> http://bricklin.org/BI_CrashTest.htm
>
> Also that Bricklin crash test done at a even higher speed than the
> Delorean and was REPAIRED and sold after the crash test... notice
the
> passenger compartment is still in one piece,also the hood was
> undamaged!!I don't think the Delorean in that crash test ever saw
> passengers again..
>
> Claude

[moderator snip]

<*> Your email settings: