[DML] Re: Can we make the ride smoother?

[DML] Re: Can we make the ride smoother?

One of the biggest factors affecting ride quality is the tires. The
wrong tire, wrong tire pressure, or old tires can have a huge effect.
If the tires are over 10 years old they are garbage. If they are not
the right size they are garbage. You *should* have the same
manufacturer's tires (and the same style) on the front and the back.
It is getting harder and harder. As for tire pressures, that you have
control over. Put the right tires on and use the right pressures and
THEN you can think about changing the shocks. If the steering is
banging around you may have loose/worn parts in the suspension or the
steering. Check the steer column bushing. There should be no lost
motion or "play" in the steering and it should be centered when
driving straight on a good, smooth road. The only reason to change
springs is if they are broken or you want to lower the car. They do
not affect ride quality all that much. Shocks are for cornering and
rough roads (potholes).
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "stephenucedu" <steve10000@...> wrote:

> I recently purchased my third D, and was reminded of how the ride is
so rough. Rob Grady once described this to me as like a "buckboard".
On one of my cars I put on his shocks and it helped some, but there
was a long way to go. Some days, I feel exhausted after driving
> to work (30 miles) due to the rough ride and the noise. The ride, as
we all know, is very dependent on the road condition, but here in the
DC area its a mess, and on some roads it really is a buckboard feel. I
have seen various ideas floated-about, concerning quieting down the
ride, with certain springs, shocks and tires (such as the Marty Maier
shocks from long ago, Rob's shocks, DMCH etc, and various tires). I am
not interested in performance (like taking sharp curves, feeling the
road, or hugging the road, etc). Rather, a softer, quieter, smoother,
maybe even mushy ride. It wouldn't hurt to have a different steering
> column, so that you don't feel every crack in the road, but that's
probably not realistic.

> So, can I try to get a consensus on the best:
> tires
> shocks
> springs
>
> That can accomplish this goal?