[DML] Re: WANTED: Angle Drive

Back in the "old days" before parts were more plentiful - lower
speedo cables were made from universal kits. Sometimes if care was
not taken the new cable would be made too long by a as much as a half
inch. If that happened it usually caused a failure of the angle
drive - we suspected that it caused a bind in the angle drive gears.

Something to check out.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Videobob Moseley <videobob@...> wrote:

> I tried connecting my high speed Makita drill to the lower cable
and running it in both directions.
> It runs the speedo at 65 MPH.
> I let it run for a few minutes.
> I also found that when you run it backwards the numbers count off!!!
> Everything seems to move without resistance.
> The angle drive however, when you try to move it in the reverse
position it locks up.
> It is the gears of the angle drive that bind up.
> I hate to trash talk DMCH's good intentions, but I have had 4 of
these do this to me.
> Most of them never make it out of the driveway.
> They say they are making new one's and I hope they are better
quality.
> - VB
>

> To: dmcnews@...: jtrealty@...: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 16:17:53
+0000Subject: [DML] Re: WANTED: Angle Drive

> On one car I worked on that used to eat angle drives I found
thatinside the speedometer head one of the plastic posts had broken
loose.It still had a metal clip attached. It had gotten caught up in
thespeedometer works because of the magnet and jammed the
speedometercausing the cable to have to work harder prematurely
wearing out theangle drives and cables. If you have this recurring
problem with thespeedometer you should look inside the speedometer
head. Just gettinganother angle drive is not going to fix it for
good. Also make sureyou have the lower cable support bracket and
check the hole in themiddle of the plastic drive cover. It MUST be
square. Sometimes theyget rounded out. You can also wrap the disc
edge with electrical tapeso it can't slip between the rim and the
spindle. The angle drive MUSTbe lubricated. Once a year when you lube
the front end you have tolube the angle drive too.David Teitelbaumvin
10757--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Robert Moseley" <videobob@>
wrote:>> It need an angle drive, new or used, as long as it works.>
DMCH and their franchises seems to be sold out and will not have> any
more for months.> I have had a lot of trouble with them, and after
testing my cables,> lambda counter, etc, I have determined it was the
angle drive that> failed each time.> All of the replacement angle
drives I have installed have binded gears.> If you spin the cable
forward, it seems to move OK, but when you> go in reverse it locks
up.> I have replaced the drive 4 times so far.> I really need some
help!!!> > I called Rob Grady to inquire about his "Hardcore" version
that> he used to produce, he said he might consider making more of
them> if there was enough interest. If you also need one of these
then> let him know! Keep in mind that his unit will cost more than
twice> what the DMCH version sells for, but if it works, isn't it
worth it?> > If you have one for sale please contact me!> Thanks,> -
Bob> VIN#5278>

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: