[DML] My DMA Fall Foliage Tour experience

[DML] My DMA Fall Foliage Tour experience

The DMA Fall Foliage Tour of 2007, a Newbie?s perspective:

Here is a brief synopsis of my experiences at the FFT.    I was the first
one at the hotel in Elkton, MD and one of the last to leave the boat parking
lot in Lewes, DE and I thoroughly enjoyed myself every minute in between.
As Marc and Sheri, Stephen and Ruth and Harold arrived, they each greeted me
and made me feel welcome.  The friendliness and camaraderie continued
throughout the event as others joined the group.  I always felt like I was
amongst old friends.

Eight of us started with a late lunch at a local restaurant downtown.  There
was lots of laughing and goofing and good food.  Kevin surprised us by
picking up the tab.  Thanks Kevin.  Next, was a wild night at the drag
races.  We witnessed a car crash into the wall, a car fire and some really
fast cars.  We also saw some Deloreans roll down the track.  I will leave it
to the owners to tell their race stories.  Afterwards, everyone met at the
Cracker Barrel for a late dinner.  I sat with Kevin, Tiffany and Tiffany?s
mother, ?Mom?.  Great people!  Then back to the hotel where we kept the
hotel guests up until midnight with rowdy Delorean talk.

Saturday morning we headed to the Airport Museum on some great country
roads.  Sixteen Deloreans snaking their way down winding, tree lined roads
is a magnificent sight to behold.  After a great, personal tour of the
museum, we took turns flying in an open cockpit biplane (1941 Boeing
Stearman PT-17).  Unfortunately, when my turn came to go up, the brakes on
the plane locked up.  So I didn't get to fly.  But my disappointment quickly
faded when Dan rushed out to the field to tell me I had won the grand raffle
prize of 2.5 hours of P.J. Grady time.  Thanks, to the guy that was holding
my raffle tickets while I was in the plane.  I was in such a rush to go up
in the plane, I don?t even remember who I gave my tickets to.  You could
have easily claimed the prize for yourself.  Thanks again for being so
honest.  The original plan was to visit the Chesapeake Farm Wildlife
Preserve next, but everyone was having such a great time at the airfield, we
agreed to forego the wildlife preserve.  This allowed time for Rob Grady to
inspect my car to see what repairs I could use my prize towards.  Although I
was a little disappointed Rob was able to find so many things to repair, his
observations and recommendations were invaluable.  Thank you Rob.

After another great route down country roads, we arrived at the Kent Narrows
restaurant right on time.  One notable experience I had at the dinner was
when I found out that a search party was out looking for me when I wondered
away from the dinner table.  I went into the bar for a second to see the
score of the football game on the TV and met a friend of mine from work in
the bar.  He bought me a beer and we chatted for a while.  I was a little
embarrassed when I found out that a half dozen people had been searching the
restaurant and parking lot to make sure I was OK.  Bill even went to the
trouble of locating my car to see if I had driven off.  That speaks volumes
about the kindness of these folks that I had met for the first time that
morning.   With a full belly, a couple of beers and coming off the
adrenaline high of the day, this old fart couldn't hang with the gang, so I
hit the hay soon after we got to the hotel.  So I missed all the drama in
the pool.

The trip concluded with a leisurely cruise on a 90-foot yacht.  This cruise
and the location of the tour were the major reasons I attended this year.
The food on the cruise was great and I felt the venue was a perfect choice
for the end of the tour.

It was obvious that a ton of work went into organizing this event and the
attention to detail showed.  The choice of hotels and venues, the mapping of
the routes traveled, the goody bags, the raffles, the number of Deloreans
and especially the people made it an event to remember.

For the organizers, thank you all very much for all the hard work and effort
you put in to this fantastic event.  For all the people I met, it was a
great pleasure meeting you and I am looking forward to the next time we
meet.  And Carol, thanks for the goodbye hug, it was the perfect conclusion
to a perfect trip.

Wyatt Rinker
VIN 5497
Dunkirk, MD