[DML] Squealing sound coming from engine bay between 1,000-2,000 RPM

[DML] Squealing sound coming from engine bay between 1,000-2,000 RPM

Today, on the way to and from work, I noticed a chirpy-squealy sound
coming from the engine.  The squeal will start when the engine speed
drops below 2,000 RPM, and the sound drops out around 1,000 RPM.  If
at any time I step on the gas, even while still in the 1,000-2,000
RPM range, the squeal goes away... relax the gas pedal (and if in the
mentioned range) and the sound comes back.

I think it is coming from the passenger side of the engine bay.  I
tried to turn the side of my head towards various places around the
engine, but the source of the sound is hard to place.  Sounds like it
might be coming from the alternator area, but then again... it sounds
like it is coming from the front-right corner of the engine as
well... or maybe the other side... Tomorrow I will try to double
check where the sound might be coming from, just to rule out the
driver's side (i.e. the A/C bearings).

I completed a passenger side head gasket replacement a couple of
weeks ago and have been driving it Mon-thru-Fri since.  Problem just
crept up today.  My alternator belt might be a tad on the tight side
from completing the recent work on the engine; battery meter appears
to be in line with what I expect.  Alternator is about 14 months /
2,400 miles old.

Does this sound like a symptom of the alternator bearings on their
way towards failure due to overtight belt? (I did a search
for "alternator bearing squeal" on the DML and derivatives of the
words, but only saw one question about it and the symptom did not
seem to fit my case.)

Any tricks to use to pin point the sound source other than what I
have outlined below?

1) Remove A/C belt; check for squeal.
2) Maybe just loosening the alternator belt a little and see what
happens.
3) Take out alternator and have it bench tested for the sound (will
have to wait for weekend).

Thanks.

Regards,
Wayne / VIN2447