[DML] Re: Shimmy While Braking

Actual warping of a brake rotor is rare. There is usually some other
issue such as uneven ware or run out - most common - and is a place on
the rotor has worn thinner than the rest, for example. Other causes can
be pad material or other contaminates on the rotor. All these problems
are usually caused by defective system parts like a piston stuck or
sticking in a wheel cylinder, leaks, grease, bad brake lines or
incorrect pads to name a few.

Resurfacing the rotors (a cleanup cut or more, if necessary) will most
likely solve your problem - however, if the system problem(s) that
caused the rotor damage is not repaired your pulsing will return.

There is a high probability that there is a system problem that has
caused rotor damage. I would check thoroughly all system functions and
fix the faulty areas found, have the rotors turned by a professional
shop with a certified machinist (I have found that these rotors are
very sensitive and require the correct attention - be sure they are
removed from the hub before turned) and put on new pads.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Shannon" <birdwells@...> wrote:

> I have a shimmy in the steering wheel while braking which I'm
> interpreting (at the moment) as being due to a warped rotor. It
becomes
> more pronounced as the car slows to a stop. I'm planning on removing
> the rotors and having them checked. When I mentioned it to a couple
of
> other Delorean owners they said that they have the same problem. Is
> this a common problem? What are other causes if not rotor related.
>
> Shannon
> VIN 16113

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional