[DML] Re: Shimmy While Braking

Before condeming a rotor (and you don't know which one) you need to be
sure you don't have a bad tire, bent rim, dirt caught between the rim,
rotor, or spindle. Very easy to measure run-out. Worn, loose steering
parts can also cause and aggravate the shimmy. Again, easy to check
for, jack up the front end and wiggle the front wheels side-to-side
while watching for lost motion in the steering. ANY shimmy that you
have without touching the brakes is NOT a brake problem. Usually a
warped rotor will also cause a pulsating brake pedal. Easier to check
the rotors on the car. Pull the wheels, put nuts on to hold the rotors
tight, and using a dial indicator or a needle, rotate the rotor and
watch for run-out. Check both sides. If the rotor is warped you can
clean it up if you don't have to remove much. Do not have them cut
just for the heck of it. If they don't have to be cut they should just
be scuffed up along with the brake pads if you are reusing the old
ones.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Shannon" <birdwells@...> wrote:

> I have a shimmy in the steering wheel while braking which I'm
> interpreting (at the moment) as being due to a warped rotor. It
becomes
> more pronounced as the car slows to a stop. I'm planning on removing
> the rotors and having them checked. When I mentioned it to a couple
of
> other Delorean owners they said that they have the same problem. Is
> this a common problem? What are other causes if not rotor related.
>
> Shannon
> VIN 16113

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional