[DML] Re: Bolt On Performance.

While it is very true that the manufacturer of the car had to build
it to a cost point they also had to certify it for emmisions and
durability from a warranty point of view. Many times performance
parts do not last as long as a stock part will. For example air
filters. Many would trade having to clean it more often for some
extra horsepower. Those that do will pay more for it and clean it
more often then someone who wants the stock one and doesn't want to
be bothered with cleaning it. Performance parts also imply that you
may be trading performance for gas mileage. It is very rare to "get
something for nothing"! This is exactly what testing can tell the
prospective customer, what his trade-offs are. For a time vendors
were pushing the Bosch platinum plugs. After a while when they
started seeing them fail they could not, in good conscience,
recomend a "performance" part that was supposed to last longer than
the "stock" part and cost more but had a high failure rate. I guess
I am just skeptical of unsubstantiated claims. I get a kick out of
drastically improving some Deloreans just by putting the right air
pressure into the tires!!!!! And you guys are arguing over THIS!!!!
Most Deloreans are in dire need of a properly performed tune-up. For
the few that are actually running right I still believe any possible
gains are so small that although you might be able to measure them
it really won't affect the way it drives all that much.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tom Tait" <TTait@...> wrote:

> Mark:
>

> The parts you are referring to actually cost less.  I'm very
surprised
> that no one on this forum has taken the time to point this out.
(ahem)

> Moderator - is there ANY point in this going on?
>

> Tom
>

> [MODERATOR NOTE:  No, not much point.  But personally I keep
hoping someone will produce some juicy dyno date for us all to
digest.  - Mike Substelny, DML moderator of the week]

> ________________________________

Behalf
> Of DMCVIN6683
> Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 12:21 PM
> To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [DML] Re: Bolt On Performance.
>

> BA HA HA HA! sheltered corner.
>
> I want to know what performance gain there is. 1 or 2 HP isn't
> nothing if you are shelling out a lot more for performance parts.
>
> I have had performance cars in the past. This theory of putting on
> parts that are Performance doesn't mean squat unless there are
> numbers to show proof.
>
> Performance part makers dont sell pars by saying "100's of people
> bought them and noticed the difference". Like I said you can
probably
> get the same results by just replacing your worn out parts with
new
> stock spec parts.
>
> Like you said yourself "I'm sure it would be money down the
drain"!
> Yep with the small number of HP you gain it would be money down
the
> drain. Same goes for the people who are running 92+ octane in
their
> stock delorean saying it is making it faster.
>
> I might be in a sheltered corner but I dont believe in advertising
> slogans like "Just Buy It!"
>
> Mark V
>
> On Oct 24, 2007, at 2:25 AM, welmoedj wrote:
>
> > Even if John would go for it and do the dyno himself, I'm sure it
> > would be money down the drain as again you would ignore that and
say
> > the results were "coloured".
> > Keep sitting in your sheltered corner while the world moves on!
> >
> > Welmoed.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: