[DML] Clogged windshield well (Re: lower evap casing)

[DML] Clogged windshield well (Re: lower evap casing)

If the windshield well is filling up with water the probable culprit
is a clogged drain from the well. The recirculation air flap isn't
meant to be water tight.

There's a drain hose at the front edge of the well, right above the
fuel pump. It's a pretty tortured bend, so I removed mine, leaving
just a 3/4" hole that is basically guaranteed never to clog again. To
keep water out of my fuel pump, especially since I can't use a stock
cover, I installed an aluminum shield around the outside edge of the
spare tire well. Runs all the way down to the top on the fuel tank.
You can see it in the pictures of my fuel pump in #5939's photo album.
The shield was smooth when installed, but vehicle flexing since (tank
movement) kinked it. Oh well, still works perfectly: Rain water (and
debris) shoots out my drain hole, hits the shield, then deflects
harmlessly off either side of the tank.

As another post mentioned, the drain hose from the evaporator also
takes a tortured route towards the ground. Mine was actually pinched
closed between the frame and the body. Since my epoxy there is perfect
(unlike other areas of the frame), and since condensation is minimal
(compared to rain), I cut off the damaged section of drain hose and
now let evaporator water simply drip onto the frame.

Yet MORE modifications to DMC's original design, but my passengers'
feet are at least dry...

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Nicholas Roedl <roedlnd@...> wrote:
>
> If water is gettting into the evaporator box from
> the outside, then there is a problem with the flap
> thing where the air intake is right? In front of the
> windshield straight down is where the air for the
> vents and A/C comes in and there is supposed to be a
> dividing flap or something that does not allow water
> to get into the evaporator box. If water is going
> into the evaporator box, then something is probably
> blocking the passageway for water; leaves, debris,
> etc. I would remove the screen covering that and
> then check that area out before tackleing the
> evaporator box.
>
> Believe me, I just had to replace my
> evaporator after breaking the hose leading to the
> accumulator and though it may sound simple enough,
> it's still no picnic. I did it over several days
> because it was so frustrating. I dont know what was
> harder, getting it all out or getting it all back
> in, either way I hope I never have to again.
> Cleaning out the intake is definately easier and is
> definately worth a try. I remember washing my car
> once, later to find water dripping from the fan
> motor. I removed the hose coming out the side of the
> fan, and water just came running out.
>
> Good Luck!
>
> -Nick-
>
> 1643