[DML] Re: lower evap casing

The only question I would ask is how much do you drive the car.  As a
daily driver, the A/C seems to be a problem.  My understanding is all
the dirt and gunk gets in there from where the windshield meets the
front hood.  If the car is kept in the garage and used only
occasionally, then it might not have A/C issues.  But if a daily
driver or subjected to the elements, it's a constant battle.  I will
say I could be wrong, just my experience and observations talking
with other owners.  I'm glad it's worked for you.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Chris Hawes <christopherhawes@...>
wrote:

> What are you talking about, tuxr!  Ed, It IS possible to have
EXCELLENT long term aircon in a DeLorean.  I overhauled my airon not
long after buying my car 6 years ago and it is still going strong!
To remove the evaporator assembly you will need to remove the glove
box lid, glove box, centre console, and move the assembly that holds
the stereo and central airvents slightly out of the way.  You then
need to take the spare tire out and remove the access panel and
disconnet four pipes two are for the heater matrix and the two larger
ones are for the evaporator core.  Once you then disconnect these the
whole evaporator assembly can be removed.  It sits in the drainer
plug socket so you need to lift it around 1/2 inch before pulling the
assembly towards you.  The assembly itself is easy to dismantle as
there are just screws around the perimeter holding it together.  I
araldited (not adhesive, hard and lasts forever) a soft material to
the flaps as the factory foam was crumbling
>  away.  This I did for two reasons.  One, you have a better seal
for when the flaps are open/shut and secondly you get a nicely quiet
refined thump as they change position opposed to the metal against
plastic sound that you could possibly hear without.  Once you open
the assembly you can then determine the condition of your evaporator
and of course clean out the dust, leaves and other things that have
accumulated in there over the last 25 years.  Refitting is the
reversal of the above!  Change the dryer while you are at it too (the
thermos flask object next to the front passenger side wheel).  If the
system is already gassed then this should be depressurised safely
first.  You may also need some black mastic to re-insulate the
evaporator pipes.  You will also need some pretty big spanners too..
32mm is the largest.

>   Hope this helps.
>
>   Chris
>

> tuxr <tuxdarby@...> wrote:
>           Hate to tell you this, but you will never ever never fix
that
> problem. It's one of those Delorean things, if your car gets it,
> you're stuck with it, forever. You can replace every component
> involved, twice, it will come back, it's supernatural. Others may
> dispute this, but after you try a variety of good suggestions,
report
> back in 6 months and give the results. I've had two Deloreans, and
if
> there's one thing that holds me back from getting another is that I
> live in Florida and can't deal with the A/C issues. Actually who am
> kidding . . . I'll end up with another and just sweat, small price
> pay I guess.
>
> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ed & Roxie Cohen" <rdcejc@> wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone give me the procedure for removing the lower
evaporator
> casing.
> > I am getting water inside the car and have cleaned out the drain
tube
> > several times. I think there is gunk inside that is clogging the
> tube and
> > want to clean it out.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > ED 6944